5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 7:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.

lito 6D

I was using adobe premierePro 6 / canopus edius 6 untill now.I bought recently a kit for a canon 6d and that included the PE12.So i was happy with the idea of another environment that i have heard so much.The thing is that my projects are like 30gb (weddings etc) and im gettin problems with DCs / lags / big render times.I have used other programs on this pc so its nothing about pc specs etc.The files from canon 6d are full hd so they are big and i import them directly from camera.Does that means PE12 is for "light"use?

• 1. Re: Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lito 6d

Does that means PE12 is for "light"use?

That depends on how you define light.

Although you feel that the issue is not about "pc spec etc.", could you please post the description of the computer that your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is running on? Please include with the computer resources and operating system whether 32 or 64 bit.

Where are your project's Scratch Disks directed and how much free space is at that location (s)? See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Also, could you define what you are using

a. project preset (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the field look grayed out.)

b. properties of source media (Canon 6D - 1080i or 1080p and are you dropping 5471 x 3648 stills into the Timeline as well as those videos? If so, how many stills? Your video files appear to be AVCHD.mov. So as to take nothing for granted, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1?)

c. file size and duration of files that are being put on the Timeline and total duration of the Timeline content

d. "my project are like 30 GB"....is that the sum of the file sizes of the Timeline content, the estimated file and/or actual size in a export to file saved to the computer hard drive, or the Space Required for a burn to Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc?

e. What are "big render times" related to - rendering of the Timeline to get the best possible preview or export times?

Let us start here.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.
            lito 6D Level 1

Thank you for reply.

For pc specs : win7 64bit , i7 , 12gb ram , quadro 4gb.

About hard discs : 100gb SSD for PE12 and programs in general(25gb free atm)  and a 2tb hard disc for my projects since they are big(atm 600gb available).

Im shootin at 1080i and im not droppin any stills into the timeline and have the latest version of quicktime.

For example 8min on timeline is 10gb.When i said my project is like 30gb i meant that in general a whole baptism ceremony for example is around that 30+ gb mark (the folder with the files).

REndering footage on the timeline with effects etc to preview correctly on a 8min project is gettin like 10minutes.If i dont render i cannot see the clip that i edited since it gets frozen ( not just laggy).Is that normal?

Thanks again for the reply

• 3. Re: Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lito 6D

Thanks for the reply with the details.

At the onset, please let me have you confirm....given the same computer, are you saying that a project (full content) that can be done in Premiere CS6 cannot be done using Premiere Elements 12?

You wrote

REndering footage on the timeline with effects etc to preview correctly on a 8min project is gettin like 10minutes.If i dont render i cannot see the clip that i edited since it gets frozen ( not just laggy).Is that normal?

Yes, can be normal for unrendered Timeline. When the source media are imported, if the project preset is set correctly, the Timeline content presents with no colored line, indicating that you are looking at the best possible preview of the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. But, once the edits begin, then Timeline rendering is needed to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing at Edit area monitor playback. This Timeline rendering is especially important when effects, transitions, titles, and non native formats are involved. When it comes to Timeline render times, that is going to depend on what has been applied to the footage...example, application of the video stabilizer can add minutes to the time, whereas Brightness might add only seconds. But, the important matter here is that, even if you have a NVIDIA CUDA card, Premiere Elements cannot take advantage of it in Timeline rendering time or for that matter anything else as compared to Premiere CS6.

You wrote

For pc specs : win7 64bit , i7 , 12gb ram , quadro 4gb.

From your background, I would assume that the i7 is quad core. Can we assume that the NVIDIA Guadro driver version is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card? Premiere Elements cannot take advantage of the CUDA cards as does Premiere Pro. So, generalizing, any NVIDIA or ATI video card/graphics card with an updated driver version should work with Premiere Elements. Whatever the card, updated driver version...exception being the case of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue where a driver version roll back (to May 2013) is need to get Premiere Elements 10 to work.

If you increase the installed RAM to 32 GB, do you see any significant change in Premiere Elements 12 performance change.

From another perspective, do you have problems with a 8 minutes 10 GB Timeline, in Edit area preview and in export? If not, where is the cut off for no problems versus problems - 16 minutes 20 GB, 32 minutes 40 GB....?

The question

Does that means PE12 is for "light"use?

If "light" is used in context with previewing then Premiere Elements is "lighter" than Premiere CS6 in that it cannot take advantage of Premiere CS6 NVIDIA CUDA GPU-accleration and Adobe Mercury Playback Engine to decrease Timeline render time.

For anything else, I would need to see further data from your workflow for rendered time performance and export quality and time.

ATR

• 4. Re: Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.
                lito 6D Level 1

Thank you again for the reply.Ofc everything up to date.The thing is i didnt think about the nvidia in PE,prolly this is the reason i feel that the same project takes more time to be done.BUT..on some video filters i gettin huge lag and the program needs to shut down through ctrl alt delete.Ofc i wouldnt make that comment if it was from a third pt plugin or anything else.W/e though thank you again u solved my problem.

• 5. Re: Just bought PE12 but lag on video filters / big render time.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lito 6D

Thanks for the update.

We were glad for the opportunity to offer some comments on your Premiere Elements workflow, and thank you for considering them.

Best wishes.

ATR