10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 4:29 PM by A.T. Romano

importing avi files

Warrannz

Hi,  I have just downloaded premier elements and cannot add files.  I have tried importing .avi files which I believe are supported.  Also changed one file to wmv which I believe is also supported but still no joy.  I am a complete novice at this so totally stumped.

Grateful for any help thanks

• 1. Re: importing avi files
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please move to Elements forum.

• 2. Re: importing avi files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

warrannz

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer with Premiere Elements?

Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges or after application of Run As Administrator to desktop icon?

Please detail where the import problem hits...

a. Cannot get file into program...hit with Importer Error

b. Get file to Timeline, but video and/or audio do not present

c. Other

What type of .avi are you trying to use? There are many kinds...the problem ones are usually

a. AVCHD.avi (will not import at all)

b. MotionJPEG.avi

c. Xivd or DivX.avi

More information is need from you to help us help you.

Please do not hesitate to tell us if you do not understand what is being asked. Your answers are important so we will rewrite to help you with the questions/answers if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: importing avi files
              Warrannz Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am using Premier elements 12 with windows 7 op system.

not sure about version of quicktime. I have installed the program and added a desktop icon (not sure if this answers your question).

I am cannot import the file, keep getting error message - this type of file is not supported , or the required codec is not installed.

not sure what type of avi file it is.  In the properties it says: type of file: Video Clip (.AVI)

I am very novice at this and trying to make a movie with my kids that they filmed on my camera.

thanks for your help

Leann

• 4. Re: importing avi files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Leann

Thanks for the reply.

The critical information that we need to get to the whys revolves around what type of avi you are trying to work with.

There are lots of .avi type files. And, as I mentioned they ran from cannot import to import with problems to no problems at all.

We have several ways to gather the information on what type of .avi and what the video compression is.

a. Tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video

b. Download and install the free GSpot utility to give us the Video codec, name, status as well as the Audio codec, name, status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

We will be watching for further details. It is very late where I am, so I will look for your reply in the light of day in a few hours.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: importing avi files
                  Warrannz Level 1

Hi ATR,

The GSpot says that it is a MJPG and that the codecs are installed

Thanks again

Leann

• 6. Re: importing avi files
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You did not provide the brand/model camera as requested, so I am going to post all 3 links below

MJPEG http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396

- problems with Samsung codec http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699493

- and Fuji http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015922

• 7. Re: importing avi files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Leann

Thanks for the reply.

The MotionJPEG video compression (the MJPG that you report) is often a problem for Premiere Elements (just about any version).

It is a toss up whether the problem is that the MotionJPEG codec is not installed or that the MotionJPEG codec is not available to Premiere Elements.

Based on your GSpot results, it would appear that, in your case, the MotionJPEG codec is probably not available to Premiere Elements.

The remedies are the following:

a. Search what was included with your camera purchase and try to find a utility that you can install that will provide the MotionJPEG codec that will become available to Premiere Elements.

or

b. Download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (tryout out first, then decide if worth the investment if it works for your and your video).

Morgan Multimedia - Product - M-JPEG Codec

or

c. Convert the MotionJPEG.avi to DV AVI with a program such as MPEG Streamclip.

http://www.squared5.com/

Please review and consider and then we can customize the best solution for you.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: importing avi files
                        Warrannz Level 1

Thanks for all of your help.  I will try changing the format.  If I have any further issues I will get back to you.  You've been great, thanks heaps

• 9. Re: importing avi files
                          Warrannz Level 1

Thankyou John, I will check them out.

• 10. Re: importing avi files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Leann

Thanks for the follow ups.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any more questions on this.

You are not alone with MotionJPEG and Premiere Elements (just about any version). One day I hope to figure out the whys behind

MotionJPEG codec not installed versus MotionJPEG codec not available to Premiere Elements.

Thanks for your stick-to-it-tiveness on the troubleshooting.

ATR