3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 12:52 PM by A.T. Romano

install codec for avi Premeire Elements 12

Bondz2

How does one install a codec for .avi in Premiere Elements 12 ? or do what ever is needed to allow .avi files created with a Canon G9 camera to be edited.

• 1. Re: install codec for avi Premeire Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bondz2

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Can we assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit?

From what I have read, your camera is recording with video compression = MotionJPEG. This video compression can be a problem

for Premiere Elements. It is a toss up whether the issue involves the MotionJPEG codec not being available to Premiere Elements versus

the MotionJPEG being absent.

The classical remedies include...

a. Look for a utility that camera with the camera so that you can install the utility and get the MotionJPEG codec

or

b. Download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec as the tryout. If it works, then consider if it is worth the investment.

Morgan Multimedia - Product - M-JPEG Codec

This codec might be available from other sources. Not sure.

c. Convert the MotionJPEG to another format which is compatible with Premiere Elements and import that into the project.

Example: MotionJPEG.avi to DV.AVI with MPEGStreamclip.

http://www.squared5.com/

All details can be customized and fine tuned depending on the follow up information that you post.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: install codec for avi Premeire Elements 12
            Bondz2 Level 1

Thanks for your answer. I have Photo Shop Elements 12 running on a new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 7 pro 64-bit. The current work around I am considering is to open one clip at a time in Windows Move Maker 12 and then select  the recommended save option. This save option matches the original avi's 640x480, but the file size is reduced from 74.1 GB @ ? mbps  to 33.5 GB @ 7.13mbps. Adobe Elements 12 supports the Mp4 file created by Windows Movie Maker 12. I have not had time to test this method for quality loss. Converting movie clips and  understanding codecs is a totally new world for me.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: install codec for avi Premeire Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bondz2

Thanks for the follow up.

The easier route might be the install of the MotionJPEG codec (first as a tryout) to see if that solves the problem.  If it solves the problem, then decide it is worth the investment.

But, if file conversion is your preference, you might want to consider the free MPEG Streamclip. Windows Movie Maker as far as I know is the same as Premiere Elements in that it offers export only 1 file at a time; whereas, MPEG Streamclip does have a batch export feature as I recall.

http://www.squared5.com/

http://www.bothell.washington.edu/it/howdoi/articles/mpegstreamclip

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR