5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 2:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?

slidefour

Nowhere in the literature do I find a statement that says I can burn movies to a DVD and play them on a stand alone DVD player so we can watch them on television. Is it so obvious that it doesn't need stating, did I miss it, or is it not a feature of the program ?

• 1. Re: Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

slidesfour

What version of Premiere Elements do you have on what computer operating system is it running. If your version has the Publish+Share (v 11 and v 12), then see Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc. If version earlier than 11 and least to version 4, see Share/Disc/DVD disc.

Premiere Elements versions going way back allow for taking the Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

For best results, you need to start by setting up the project correctly to match the properties of your source files. Sometimes the "Scan Order"

of a source with interlaced video is a consideration.

We should really start with

a. Premiere Elements version and computer operating system involved

b. Properties of your source media - 1080i vs 1080p or other, including

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame width

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

duration

A lot of information can be gotten from knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

In the scheme of things, DVD-VIDEO standard and widescreen both have a frame size of 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL).

The widescreen has the 16:9 that stretches the video for display after encoding.

With more details from you, we can fine tune (customize) the information needed for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?
            slidefour Level 1

I don't have Premiere. I'd like to have it (the latest version), so I'm trying to find out if it does what I want to do, which is create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player. Nowhere in the literature do I find a statement that says I can burn video to a DVD and play them on a stand alone DVD player so I can watch it on television. It's pretty much a 'yes' or 'no' answer. For example, "Yes, you can burn videos to a DVD and watch them on your television via your stand alone DVD player" and I place my order, or, "No, Premiere will not burn videos to a DVD in a format that a stand alone DVD player will recognize" and I move on.                Thanks.

• 3. Re: Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

slidefour

In large or normal font size the answer is the same. Yes, Premiere Elements (versions going back many versions) has a feature that lets you burn your Timeline content (video and/or stills) to a DVD disc and play them on a stand along DVD player so that you can watch it on television.

I have already answered your question in post numbered 1 of this thread.

Premiere Elements versions going way back allow for taking the Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

I am not sure where you have been looking, but that information is clearly available in the Adobe Buyer Guide document

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 - Buying guide

excerpt from that Buying Guide

BuyerGuide.JPG

If that is all you think that you need in the answer is Yes or No, then read no further.

Although Premiere Elements offers you this opportunity

a. The program must recognize your particular DVD/CD burner and disc Brand/Type.

b. If you are starting with GoPro video (1080p or 1080i), your expectations for what you are

watching on the television might not be there since you may have GoPro 1920 x 1080 and all you

are going to get in a DVD product (anywhere) is a standardized lesser resolution product.

c. There may be issues taking an interlaced video to the DVD disc because of what is called "Scan Order".

I am not sure of your background, so you may not understand the cautions noted above.My comments seem lost to you

based your response in your post 2 and your attempt to scream out at me with the large bold text. This is not Adobe. Just

user to user. And this user would like to help you. I started years ago and faced the question "What in the world have I

gotten myself into?" and have subsequently come out on top of the learning curve.

ATR

• 4. Re: Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?
                slidefour Level 1

Not having experienced Premiere, I'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology. Looked like technobabble. Seemed like my question was lost on you. I get it now. Wasn't screaming, post started with the big font and I just went with it. Been trying to make my own sportbike videos and found most folks don't have a computer capable of playing them smoothly at max def, but everyone has a DVD player hooked to their television. Sharing them to YouTube is just asking for trouble as the GoPro brings out the bad behavior I thought I left behind as a squirrelly, punk-*** twenty-something. Nothing too appealing  about a squirrelly, punk-*** fifty-something behaving badly. Anyway, I super appreciate the help. I think you just became one of my co-dependent enablers. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.

• 5. Re: Will Premiere create DVD's from GoPro videos that will play on a television via a stand alone DVD player ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

slidefour

Many thanks for your reply with follow up information.

Never hesitate to tell me when you need clarification on anything I write. I will rewrite if necessary. A Yes did not feel honest enough for generalized expectations that came with a Yes answer. Yes seemed to paint a glossy picture that did not include likely ups and downs considerations associated with the process. I tried to introduce you to some of the considerations in reply 1.

When and if you need help on your Premiere Elements projects, I would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance with sportsbike videos. Then, besides the version of Premiere Elements being used and the computer operating system that you have it running on, I will be asking you about your camera settings so that we can best set up the project. GoPro settings could be 1920 x 1080 (16:9), 1280 x 720 (16:9), or the 1280 x 960 (4:3)?

Best wishes.

ATR