7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2014 7:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Audio/SmartSound not working

pnutj58 Level 1

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 -- new computer, new software.

Now that I've finished my photo presentation it needs music.  I cannot get any of the ten SmartSound clips to be audible.  So, I added an mp3 clip and tried that.

There is simply no sound whatsoever in my Elements 11 program. 

Please, how do I fix this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pnuth58

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" type issue? If it worked before, how long ago?

If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click on ASIO settings, are the Input and Output options found selected and enabled?

Have you added any narration to the project, using the program's Narration Tool?

Open a new project and add just audio (from audio linked to video file) on numbered Audio Track. Do you hear sound in the Edit area?

Open a new project with just SmartSound in Soundtrack. Do you hear sound in the Edit area?

Let us start here and then decide what next?

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
            pnutj58 Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano --

Yes, Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

I never tried to put music to my project (It's my first project on the program) before, so I have no idea if it worked and then didn't work, or just never worked.

Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO settings:

Input -- Nothing is checked (stereo mix is the only thing available)

Output -- Speakers/Headphones yes checked

Digital Output not checked

Neither have the enabled box at the bottom checked.    (Before I check those boxes, is that what I should try?)

I have not added any narration to the project.

I opened two new projects to add just audio:

one for an imported mp3.  On audio track 1.  No sound in the edit area or the clip area.

one for SmartSound,   On audio track 1.  No sound in the edit area or the clip area.

Thanks much.

• 3. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
              pnutj58 Level 1

Oops.  Scratch the "Neither have the enabled box at the bottom checked."  My mistake.

It looks like only that "Output -- Speakers/Headphones" is checked, so I have to edit my question about that part.

Before I check the Digital Output in the Output button, and Stereo Mix in the Input button, is that something I should do?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
                A.T. Romano Level 7

pnutj58

Thanks for the reply and additional details of the issue.

With Premiere Elements 11 closed, please go to

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Folder Options - Open in Windows 8

If this issue was impacting only SmartSound, then I would talk about SmartSound specifically. But the issue is targeting all audio so I have started with the above.

Also, please check all the places for volume control to make sure that audio has not been muted.

1. Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded

2. Tools Menu/Audio Mix

If you play back songs or video with audio in the computer players, do you hear sound when Premiere Elements is taken out of the equation?

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pnutj58

For this troubleshooting, please set ASIO Input with just a check mark next to microphone. For ASIO Output go with just a check mark next to microphone.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
                    pnutj58 Level 1

Hmmm.  Well, before I got your most recent message, I went in and checked the two boxes (digital output and stereo mix) in the Audio Hardware ASIO settings.  Then I tried both SmartSound and an imported mp3 clip.  Both worked beautifully. 

I had already checked and rechecked all of the volume controls on and in my computer and Elements.  Those were fine.

And, I did hear everything else fine when Elements was not in the equation.

Considering the sound appears to be working now, should I let it be without finding the Adobe Premiere Elements Preferences file?  I only got as far and Owners.  I didn't see an AppData, etc.

So, it looks like, at this point, the results came from your first post, and they are good.  But, if I shouldn't have all three options in the ASIO Input and Output options checked, then please let me know.

Thanks again, very much. 

-- pnut

• 7. Re: Audio/SmartSound not working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pnutj58

Thanks for the update. Just getting back to your post now to see the good news..."Both worked beautiful."

Do not bother with deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the whole 11.0 Folder in which it exits. No need if the sound is present and no other problems.

If it working, do not disturb the status quo.

When you have time, you could explore the ASIO Input and Output settings. In my case, I work with ASIO Input with a check mark next to microphone and ASIO Output with a check mark next to microphone. I am not having any problems with the Narration Tool for creating narration or getting sound from my source media on the Timeline.

We are very pleased with your success. Great job.

Best wishes.

ATR