5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 10:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!

nome2014

I've edited many videos from the same phone (.mp4) with the same software before (last time was 8 months ago). Now the software claims that the "file format is not supported or the required codec is not installed". How can it be? I haven't uninstalled or installed any codecs. The phone is the same. I can still open the old projects on Premiere Elements. I need to get this fixed so I can edit my videos!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nome2014

In the case that you are presenting, are you importing new Nokia video into a new project? You say that you can open old projects in Premiere Elements. Do the old projects contain Nokia video from the same camera? If so, open one of the old projects and try to import the new Nokia video into that old project. Imports or not?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? Are you running the program as the 9.0.1 Update? If not, please do so either

a. from Help Menu/Update in the opened project

or

b. from the 9.0.1 Update downloaded from Adobe online (Premiere Elements closed during download and installation).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

I have just downloaded a sample from your Nokia Lumia 920 (1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second* AVCHD.mp4) and had no problems importing it into a new Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project set with the project preset of NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30.

*Potential issues....

the Nokia video comes with a variable frame rate, in my case, 4.201 to 30.090, showing a value of 29.272. Premiere Elements (any version) is known to have issue with cell phone video recorded with a variable frame rate. The problem can manifest itself as audio out of sync or just not being able to import the video at all. Remedy...take the video into HandBrake and convert the variable to a constant frame rate.

http://handbrake.fr/

Do you need a step by step how to on that? If so, we can supply one.

From what I have read, the Nokia can record with AVCHD video compression as well as MPEG-4. Both have a .mp4 file extension. Is what you used before the same video codec as you are using now? Please check the camera settings.

Please review and consider. You can post a sample of your problem video here as a Dropbox link, and I will road test it in my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 that is working with a sample download from your brand/model cell phone.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!
            nome2014 Level 1

Hello. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I'm importing new videos into a new project. Yes, the old projects contain video material from the same camera/phone. All my videos are on the same external harddrive (so no longer on the phone). I already tried importing one of the new videos into an old project that opens. It didn't work. (The new videos play fine on the phone and on VLC media player on the computer so they shouldn't be corrupt.)

With a new project, when I import media (a first video file), it shows the video with an icon, not a preview image like I expected. When I try to drag it to the timeline, the software asks me to locate the file first. (I just added the media and haven't moved it since, so it should know where it is.) It is after I locate the video that I get the mentioned error message about file formats and codecs.

I haven't changed the settings on my phone. The video settings only allow to choose between standard quality 720p and high quality 1080p anyhow.

I will try what you suggested starting with the software update.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nome2014

Thanks for the reply.

Move a Nokia file that is saved to the external hard drive to the computer desktop. Then import that file on the desktop into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 new project and determine if your issue is still there or gone.

Depending on those results...make sure that your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer. If it is and the problem persists, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Next, if necessary, we will convert the Nokia video recorded with the variable frame rate to one with a constant frame rate. Details will follow for that.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!
                nome2014 Level 1

It's quite silly, but everything works fine when I place the Nokia files on the hard disc of my computer and not on the external hard drive. I used to be able to work with the file on the exernal one without any problems, so I couldn't have guessed it would make a difference. Could it have to do with the space remaining on the hard drive (5 GB out of 160 remaining)?

Your other tips may come in useful yet! I've updated my software already. Thanks a lot for your help!

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no longer supports video files from Nokia Lumia 920 (it used to do)!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nome2014

Thanks for the follow up.

If the external hard drive has only 5 GB free space on it, it could be cause multiple problems other than the Nokia file import from it.

Where do you have the project's scratch files directed -- to this external hard drive or to the Local Disk C location? Has the external hard drive been undergoing any drive letter changes?  How much free hard drive space is now on the Local Disc C?

If everything is working with the Nokia source on the Local Disk C and the variable frame rate of the file is not creating problems for you when you import the file into Premiere Elements, then proceed as is. I would keep away from that external hard drive until you have determined if it is just overloaded or whether it is malfunctioning for other reasons.

Please update us on your progress when time permits.

Thank you.

ATR