8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 7:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?

sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi, does anybody with experience know whether I should defrag/optimize the hard drive of my Sony HDR-SR12E AVCHD PAL handycam?

I use PerfectDisk with 64 bit Windows 8.1.1 and Premiere Elements 11.

'This PC' (formerly 'My Computer') recognizes the drive but the message when clicking properties/tools reads 'Optimisation not available".

However, the program PerfectDisk does recognize the drive and looks ready to optimise it. Still, I would like somebody with experience to confirm that defragging/optimisation of the handycam's hard drive is advisable.

Regards, Phil

• 1. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sheltiefriend

I think that you have already posted your question in the best possible place, that is, at Sony.

Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of Sony H... - Sony's Community Site

Keeping in mind that I have not used a camcorder that can record to its hard drive, I would suspect that you

need to go into another direction, that is, put aside the concept of defragmentation and apply "formatting of the camcorder's hard drive" the same as you would for the alternative media choice of "Memory Stick PRO duo" (See page 63 of the Sony Operating Instructions).

As for Perfect Disk....according to what I have read SSD should never be degragmented. Yet Perfect Disk claims to be able to "optimize it", distinguishing between SSD and HDD. Maybe it can do the same for the HDD of a camcorder, distinguished it from a computer hard drive?

I would probably opt to format the Sony hard drive (as per its instructions), rather than have Perfect Disk work on it.

Looking forward to the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
            sheltiefriend Level 1

Thanks for responding A.T. Your advice seems logical, and I won't defrag the handycam's hdd unless I receive contrary advice. For a handycam, it is a huge hdd - storing more than 14 hours of 1920x1080i AVCHD footage. It would take awhile to fill it up. Sony themselves and participants in their handycam forum haven't responded to my question yet, though you would think that this question would arise. Unless I'm otherwise advised, I will instead follow Sony's instructions to format the drive from time to time.

The camera's drive is referred to as a hard drive (rather than SSD), so it's life won't be limited by the extent of access in the way that the life of a solid state drive is supposed to be limited because of the nature of flash memory. That constriction regarding access is the reason given for never defragging an SSD - rather, optimizing the free space, to maximize the access possible and thus

the life of the drive. I read widely on this when a near-new SSD failed after I had defragged it (because I hadn't imagined any problems or read any warnings). I replaced the SSD in my computer with an HDD for Windows and programs - along with another HDD for data.

I'll let you know if I receive a reply from Sony or from their forum.

Thanks for being there and taking an interest,

Regards, Phil

• 3. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the reply and the background information.

I could not find anything online about defrag of the camcorder's HDD. So, it will be interesting to find out what the camcorder manufacturers have to say about this.

Looking forward to your findings.

Very interesting question.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
                sheltiefriend Level 1

Yes A.T., it will be interesting to hear from the horse's mouth if they respond. You would think that this would come up a lot as people move to HDD handycams - unless they are moving to large memory cards. - Phil

• 5. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
                  sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi again A.T.,

Moderator Brian in the Corel VideoStudio forum wrote that he just deletes all files after capturing to computer to keep the camera hard drive clean. He pointed out that the drive does not then remain fragmented. I guess that in my ignorance I had imagined that after filming and file deletion the overall drive or free space might remain fragmented. I have asked Brian whether in this case he thinks there is anything to be gained from formatting. Anyway, going by your response and his, I will just delete to keep the drive clean and presumably not fragmented. I guess it will still be interesting to hear from Sony. - Phil

• 6. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks. Interesting and very practical information to have.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
                      sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi ATR, I have indeed heard back from Sony, and one should never defrag the hard drive of a Sony camcorder! We should format! - I am copying and pasting Sony's email:

Hi Phil,

My name is Troy. Thank you for contacting Sony. I apologise for the delayed response.

I have investigated this for you. We definitely do not recommend or advise to defragment the hard drive, in fact this would void the warranty if it were in the warranty period.

What I would recommend, instead of deleting the files after copying them onto the computer, I would recommend to format the hard drive.

Formatting the hard drive will erase any data on the hard drive and it will do it in a more efficient way compared to deleting the files.

To format your hard drive on your handycam, follow these steps:

1) Press the HOME button

2) Select MANAGE MEDIA

3) Select MEDIA FORMAT

4) Select HDD

5) Select YES

6) [Completed] should appear, press OK.

7) Finished. Now use the camera as per normal.

*note, as mentioned, all the data will be erased, so make sure you only format once you have everything you need backed up.

• 8. Re: Is it advisable to defrag the hard drive of a camcorder?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

sheltiefriend

Thanks for sharing the advice from Sony on formatting versus defrag of his camcorder's hard drive.

Good information to have.

ATR