5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 7:02 AM by Donkeyphotez

how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom

Donkeyphotez

If I was asked what is the best and most inthuitive progra for photography : I would say Lightroom.

If I was asked wich is the most dangerous, unnatural and complicated software for a photographer : I'd definitaly say Lightroom !

In the catalogs preferences there is a buton to show where your catalog resides.

Now, where can I go into Lightroom's menu and make it show where resides its preview's folder, and SmartPreviews's folder,

SO AS TO BE ABLE (HOW?) to direct it to an other location(other folder) ?

• 1. Re: how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those folders are always in the same folder as the catalogue. If you want them somewhere else, move the catalogue folder in Explorer/Finder and double click the lrcat file to restart Lightroom.

• 2. Re: how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom
            Donkeyphotez Level 1

SOrry but I dont understand.

I have to moove the catoalogue (from it's folder..) if I want the other two catalogues to be elswere.. hmmmm

• 3. Re: how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The catalogue, an lrcat file, is in a folder which you can move in Explorer/Finder. It expects to find its previews and smart previews in the same folder. If it doesn't find them, the catalogue automatically creates new ones in its folder, and you have no control over this. It's hard to see the point of your question. Also, unless you have a very good reason, stick to a single catalogue.

• 4. Re: how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom
                areohbee Level 5

donkeyphotez wrote:

If I was asked what is the best and most inthuitive progra for photography : I would say Lightroom.

If I was asked wich is the most dangerous, unnatural and complicated software for a photographer : I'd definitaly say Lightroom !

I'm inclined to agree. I love Lightroom, but it's design/usability is kinda wow sometimes..

donkeyphotez wrote:

Now, where can I go into Lightroom's menu and make it show where resides its preview's folder, and SmartPreviews's folder,

SO AS TO BE ABLE (HOW?) to direct it to an other location(other folder) ?

It seems John has been pretty clear: Lightroom does not support keeping previews in any location other than with the catalog. BUT, you can have them anywhere else you want to, by putting links in the catalog folder, to where the relocated preview folders actually reside.

Doing so may "void the warranty", but you can, and lotsa (well, some) people do.. Creating the links however is not so straight-forward, especially if you've never done such stuff before, and most people haven't..

Consider PreviewExporter's "Move Previews" feature which may make it easier for you, or at least doable..

Rob

• 5. Re: how to designate path to the correct Preview folder within Lightroom
                  Donkeyphotez Level 1

Thank You for all inputs /answers.

It's really nice to have such fast answers at all, and/but i have appreciated.

I realize that my questions where not implicating the reasons of my asking.

I had trouble after having

A) renamed the catalog (and by doing so introduced a misspelling in the totally-correctly renaming of the Smart preview and preview folders

and

having also strait away copied the whole "thing" from an external external HD back to my internal ssd hd

without having first checked if every thing worked

So i kind of panict and meanwhile LR had started building anew the Smart preview and preview folders (or one of them) without telling etc so i kind of got nervous..

Now everything is fixed.

Still find though that there is room to improve lightroom's management...

(wizards for all kind of procedures that a "genius-photographer might want to do.. ;-)  )

Please let's not forget to remind ADOBE that they should never assume that we "by the time" all know everything by virtue of being used to it... when they further developp LR.

(elegance but transparency)

( i'm using LR almost daily since LR 1. ... )

Now i'm going to start a new thread for a question relating to how to create smart collection to automatically group/find (lost) print layouts (that had photos associated to it)

(I use LR in french so I mishandle the appropriate english terminology..)

Thanks again.