5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 9:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated

Glenn55Dickson

I try to open Permier Elements 12 and I get an error message saying my video driver is incompatible and must be updated.  I have checked the video card and the driver and Windows 7 says it is up to date.,

• 1. Re: Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn55Dickson

Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit).

Please confirm that your video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. Do you have just one card?

After you do that, if problem remains, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. This file is in that Premiere Elements Folder accompanied my other folder(s). You do not want anything in the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. You want just the BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements Folder.

bad.JPG

It is that lone BadDrivers.txt file that you want as seen in the screenshot. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. Once you reopen a project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file. But, now the problem should be gone.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated
            Glenn55Dickson Level 1

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7730M and an Intel HD graphics 4000.  I have gone

to the Dell website and downloaded all recommended drivers for the video

system in this laptop.  The laptop is only 18 months old.

I still can not get Premier 12 to open up.  Personally this is absolute

garbage.  When you buy a program like this to upgrade an existing program

it darned well should work.  I have not had this much trouble with any

software program since Windows 95.

I am far from computer illiterate.  I build computers, run 5 different

desktops and laptops in this house on a network and also use a an old MAC

Power PC G5 for photo processing.

This is the worst piece of software since Windows 95.

Sincerely,

Glenn Dickson, P.Ag  Cert Ed.

[personal information removed... Mod - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is an open forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

[If you are posting using email, please turn your 'sig file' function OFF for posting]

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated
              Glenn55Dickson Level 1

I also checked the Premier Elements folder for a file called called "baddrivers" in a text format.There is nothing even close to that.  I reset the folder optioons to display all folders and all files but there still is nothing even remotely close to bad drivers.

Looks like Adobe just dethroned Bill Gates as the kings of buggy software.

• 4. Re: Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated
                Glenn55Dickson Level 1

I notice Adobe is too chicken to give us an 800 telephone numbers so we could resolve problems like this perhaps quicker.  Quick to take our money so not so quick to help solve problems.  I have wasted 7 hours on this piece of cruddy software today and I am absolutely no further ahead than I was when I started.

• 5. Re: Elements 12 will not open unless video driver is updated
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Glenn55Dickson

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. Adobe might be able to resolve issues quicker typically because they can opt to take remote control of your computer to troubleshoot your issue for you. We cannot off that remote control over computer troubleshooting.

When you get that display error, the resolution is targets

a. Update the driver to the current driver version for the card

and, if necessary,

b. Delete the BadDrivers.txt file. If you have Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active and you do not see the file, then other program failure may be interferring with its generation. The rationale for the BadDrivers.txt file deletion can be found in post 10 of this older thread. This deletion has been a life saver to those using 9 as well as later versions getting the same message that you are getting.

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

If you want to check out the following additional troubleshooting, please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

I have not mentioned this sooner since your reports all point to the video card/graphics card.

If you want to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat, please consider the following link.

http://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_downloading-installing-setting-up_downloa ding-installing_stillNeedHelp

I have pre-set it for

Premiere Elements

Downloading, Installing, Setting Up

Download, Installing

which "should end" in a Chat Panel for you to click on.

I have pre-set the link to the web page which "should" have the Chat Panel. I am not sure if the link will hold the set.

If not, you need to navigate to the Chat Panel with the guideline topics cited above.

But, let me tell you now,  Chat has been on and off available for some time now. At this very moment, it is in one of its off

moments.

But, if you really think that you can get a quicker resolution to your Premiere Elements issue from Adobe via Adobe Chat, then

please do so. Otherwise we could explore other troubleshooting avenues. Did you ever bother to disable the Intel HD Graphics

to determine the impact of that on the issue? Did you ever say what computer operating system your Premiere Elements is to be

run on? I have spared you the usual drill questions since your display error was glaring at us. So, I would ask what troubleshooting did you do in

the 7 hours that you said you spent on the program today that was not related to the video card/graphics card?

Please review and consider. I have no promotional interest in Adobe. My interests go to my fellow users with Premiere Elements workflow issues.

ATR

Add On...Please do not place contact information in your posts. That will only draw nuisance to you by posting that type of information.