1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 11:15 AM by dj_paige

How can I restore or sync my Lightroom 3 with my external hard drives?

ScottandLogan

I am using Lightroom 3.

I've been using an external hard drive to store my photos and backing up my catalog to my C drive for a long time. Not problems. That external hard drive filled up so I added another one doing the same thing. Everything seemed fine backing up both catalogs, hooking up drives, etc.

Now, I just was traveling on vacation I hooked a drive and it's not locating the catalogs. I'm getting the question mark for all previews. ??? I have in the past run across this and have just located the file and synced it up.

This time it looks as if both catalogs have been merged. It looks like a huge mess.

Is there anyway to recover, or just start from scratch and located the files based on the drive letter?

What is the easiest thing to do? I would of course like to keep my presets and sync a certain catalog with a particular drive. I can find the catalog folders. I guess I'm asking is there a way to just clear the current "view" in lightroom. In other words, F: Photos go here, blah blah, the just go back in and find the drive F: and have it start fresh?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I restore or sync my Lightroom 3 with my external hard drives?
          dj_paige Level 9

Now, I just was traveling on vacation I hooked a drive and it's not locating the catalogs. I'm getting the question mark for all previews. ???

One possible cause of this happening (which I think is the most likely explanation) is that when you plugged in the drive, the letter of the drive is not what it was previously. Please check to see what letter Windows assigned the drive, and if its not the letter that was assigned previously, change the drive letter.