• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i Install and Load PNG. textures on Photoshop CC?

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded photoshop textures packs from Tumblr and I unzipped all the folders and dragged all the PNG files onto Patterns.

Was what I did the incorrect way for installing textures? I then tried to load the textures, but they somehow don't appear in the Layer Style>Textures menu

I was then told to convert the PNG files to greyscale PSD files using photoshop's batch converter. But that didn't work either!

I thought that it was going to be as easy as installing and loading brushes into @photoshopCC

Can somebody please give me in depth details (less complicated) of how to install/load textures onto photoshop (

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Khadraina wrote:

I downloaded photoshop textures packs from Tumblr and I unzipped all the folders and dragged all the PNG files onto Patterns.

Was what I did the incorrect way for installing textures? I then tried to load the textures, but they somehow don't appear in the Layer Style>Textures menu

Yes what you did was wrong.    If what you downloaded were PNG files what you downloaded were image files.  Photoshop patterns are stored in sets and these pattern set files have an extension of .pat.  If you look into Photoshop Preset Pattern folders that is what you will see.   You can open your PNG image in Photoshop and use menu Edit>Define Pattern on each. That will add patterns into to the loaded patterns list in Photoshop.  You can then open Photoshop Preset Manager  use the pull-down menu to manage Patterns. Highlight all the patterns you just defined and save a pattern set for them.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this with my old textures (which were .png and .jpg files) and they are not showing up in my presets->patterns folder.  Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you defined the patterns did you save any patterns sets?  I always save what I add to Photoshop on my own folders not any folders Adobe creates on my system. If you did you can load those pattern  sets to get your defined patterns back.  You must load the them from the folder you saved then in.  Each version of Photoshop has its own Presets folder and each version of Photoshop creates a preset folder for your userid in users ID space.  That is why I keep all my add-ons in my own folders. That way I know where my add-ons are.

Adobe keeps rolling out new version of Photosjop eacj a bit different then the others....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is an excellent free facility for using textures.  If you click on Window > Browse Extensions online and search for  'Adobe Paper Textures Pro'

https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/791#.VaQ9-vlfBTU

It might be problematic to install with CC 2015, in which case you should click on Download/install your add-on another way

There is a great video tutorial on how to use the extension on Adobe TV

Adobe Paper Textures Pro | Adobe Exchange | Adobe TV

Although Paper Texture Pro comes with a number of textures, you can create your own folder of textures, and just keep adding to it every time you find a new texture, or image that will make a good texture.  Then Paper Texture Pro can be set to use that folder instead of its own built in archive.  The result is a super convenient tool for experimenting with textures, or even with multiple textures on the same image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines