14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 1:33 PM by freethedata

Add media in album order

freethedata Level 1

In previous versions of Premier, I could add media from the organizer in album order.  In Premier 12, this no longer seem possible.  Am I overlooking some new and different way to do this, or has this feature been removed from 12?

• 1. Re: Add media in album order
          A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

There is a marked difference in workspaces when you compare versions 11 and 12 with those earlier than 11.

Consider in version 12....Expert workspace...

Add Media/Elements Organizer/Local Albums

Select the Album wanted

Select all the photos in the Album that you want

Click on Add Files

Albums.JPG

The selected files will be added to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Timeline starting at the location of the Timeline Indicator.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Add media in album order
            freethedata Level 1

No.  I can only get the media to add in date order and not the order in which they are arraigned in Organizer albums like before.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Add media in album order
              A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

You did not ask about order of addition to the Elements Organizer 12. Your question asked only

In previous versions of Premier, I could add media from the organizer in album order.  In Premier 12, this no longer seem possible.  Am I overlooking some new and different way to do this, or has this feature been removed from 12?

Please check out the screenshot of a Local Album created in the Elements Organizer 12. That sure does look like Album Order to me.

AllbumOrder.JPG

Under Sort By: the choices are

Album Order

Newest

Oldest

Name

Import Batch

I thought that I had asked this earlier, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 installed on?

Let us see if we can determine the difference between us in this Elements Organizer 12 matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Add media in album order
                A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

By any chance are you in Project Assets in the top right corner "Select Order to Arrange Media in Grid"?

Please ignore for now.

projectassets.jpg

Are you not ordering the Album in Elements Organizer 12 when you created it in the Elements Organizer?

Please review and consider and then let us see where we are.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Add media in album order
                  freethedata Level 1

That screenshot is of Photoshop Elements 12.  I use that to arrange my photos in the order I want to tell my story.  The problem is that when I add media to Premier Elements 12 from Photoshop 12 albums, I can only add the media to Premier Elements in date order, but not the same order as in the organizer, as before.

So now a videographer can can only assemble a video in Premier Elements 12 from clips in albums In the Organizer in the order in which the clips were originally created, and not in the order desired to tell a story.  This is absurd!

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: Add media in album order
                    freethedata Level 1

Photoshop Elements Organizer is the place where one should organize clips in storyboard order.  The you should be able to assemble the clips in Premier Elements to create a video from these clips without having to rearrange them all over again in Premier Elements workspace.

Sent from my iPad

• 7. Re: Add media in album order
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

The Elements Organizer Album from the Elements Organizer and importing ordered photos in a folder from the hard drive are two ways to maintain the sort order for import into a Premiere Elements project.

All the screenshots presented in your thread are from the Elements Organizer 12 that comes with Premiere Elements 12. If you have Photoshop Elements 12 on the same computer, remember that it also came with Elements Organizer 12. And, when both programs (same version) are on the same computer they share the same Elements Organizer 12 catalog.

Please focus on what you originally your wrote and what I then believed to be the question I was answering.

In previous versions of Premier, I could add media from the organizer in album order.  In Premier 12, this no longer seem possible.

Yes, you can in Premiere Elements 12 and I have tried to show you how which maintains the original ordering in your Elements Organizer 12 Album.

1. You create your album in Elements Organizer 12. You order it. It stays that way when you import that into Premiere Elements as indicated

Add Media/Elements Organizer.

2. As an alternative, you could open directly to Elements Organizer 12, select this Album, select all the Album photos, right click anywhere in the selection and select the command Edit With Premiere Editor. The ordered photos will arrive in Premiere Elements 12 ordered.

3. And, if you wanted to take the Elements Organizer 12 out of the equation, you could order your photos in a desktop folder and then import the whole folder into Premiere Elements (dragging the folder to the Timeline) and get your ordered photos on the TImeline ordered.

Please review the steps.

I am answering a question on how to maintain your sort order in Elements Organizer album once sorted photos are imported into Premiere Elements project. It works. Are you asking a different question than the one that I am answering?

Please let me know if the above helped to reconcile the matter. I will clarify further if necessary. It is important to me that you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Add media in album order
                        freethedata Level 1

No.  I am in the Add Media tab.  I want to add media from Local Albums.  I select an album in the Organizer which was previously organized in a storyboard order.  There is no longer an option to view that album in the order in which it was arranged in the Organizer, like before, but only in date order.

To use a Hollywood analogy, let each album be an act in a movie, and contents of the album be the scenes in each act.  If an editor could group the scenes in act order, but within each act the scenes could only be arraigned in the date order the director shot the scenes, the resulting movie would be an incomprehensible mess.  Absurd!

Sent from my iPad

• 9. Re: Add media in album order
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Thanks for the details in post 8. I have not given up on us being in sync.

I am going to try to construct the "perfect model" to convince you of what I have been trying to tell you. Shorter version than previous, but convincing nonetheless. I will try to have this posted tonight or tomorrow morning. (It is now about 9:15 pm where I am.)

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Add media in album order
                            freethedata Level 1

We still do not seem to be communicating on the same wavelength.  I have the Photoshop Elements 12/ Premier Elements12 package.  I have ordered the photos in the Organizer in an artistic order, and not by date or file name.  The photos appear in this same order in the Organizer whether I open the Organizer in Photoshop or Elements.

Now I open Video Editor in Elements.  I create a new project.  I click the add media tab.  I add media from the Elements Organizer.  I select an album.  owever, unlike as you assert below, it does not stay in the same order when I import it.  It reverts to date order.  My first and original question was is there a way around this defect, because it would import in the same order as in the Organizer in prior versions of Premier.

Your second suggestion seems to be the answer I was originally seeking.  Your third way would not work, because if I ordered the photos in a folder, I could only arraigned them by date or file name, which is definitely not the order I want.  And your first suggestion is contrary to my experience.  It would be easier to do it that first way, but how can I get it to operate for me the same way you say it operates for you?

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: Add media in album order
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

My main focus has been to get Album photos on the Timeline in the order that they appeared in the Album created in Elements Organizer 12.

In what I wrote previously, I did not offer you companion Project Assets details.

Way 1.

1. In Elements Organizer workspace, create Elements Organizer 12 Album

2. Order Photos in Album there, select all at one time. The ordering of the photos and their file names for the test were

July 4 2011.jpg

May 5 2010.jpg

August 8 2012.jpg

April 2 2009.jpg

3. Right click anywhere in the selection, then, in the drop down list, click on Edit with Premiere Elements.

4. Premiere Elements 12 opens to present all the photos on the Timeline ordered as they were in the Elements Organizer 12 Album

But, the copies of the files in Project Assets are not ordered according to Album Order. If a customized ordering of the photos in Project Assets

is required, then create a folder in Project Assets and drop photos one at a time into the folder according to the Album Order established in Elements Organizer 12.

Way 2

1. In the Premiere Elements workspace, Add Media/Elements Organizer.

2. Select The Album under Local Albums in the left column

3. With the mouse curse, click on each of the photos in a sort order of by selection technique

first  select July 4 2011.jpg

then May 5 2010.jpg

then August 8 2012.jpg

then April 2 2009.jpg

4. When all the files have been selected, then click on Add Files

5. Premiere Elements 12 opens to present all the photos on the Timeline ordered as they were in the Elements Organizer 12 Album

But, the copies of the files in Project Assets are not ordered according to Album Order. If a customized ordering of the photos in Project Assets

is required, then create a folder in Project Assets and drop photos one at a time into the folder according to the Album Order established in Elements Organizer 12.

Way 3

Order photos in a folder on the hard drive and then import the whole folder into Premiere Elements Project Assets. From Project Assets, the whole folder is dragged to the Timeline where it presents with all the photos ordered as they were in the folder. Ordering of the photos in the folder can be achieved by special renaming or numbering of photos to obtain ordering independent of date taken and original file naming. I prefer this route when I have a Time Lapse Premiere Element project.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Add media in album order
                                freethedata Level 1

I really don't care about the order in the project assets list; I want them to be in order on the timeline.

If you already ordered your clips in the desired order in Organizer, then your way 2 amounts to doing the organizing all over again.

Your way 3 renders renders what must be tens of thousands of lines of code in Photoshop to create the Organizer useless and irrelevant.  Why buy Photoshop if it is half crippled and you are forced to organize your photos in Microsoft Windows anyway.

Your way 2 is the answer is was originally seeking.  Note that you now have to bring in your photos into Elements in an entirely different way than in previously versions of Elements, and this method is undocumented in any online tutorial that I researched.  In a previous answer you suggested a slightly different way of accomplishing this goal.  After selecting all the photos in organizer, click on Share/ Burn video DVD.  Then Elements will open with the videos in the same order as in the Organizer.

Nevertheless, this method is still more cumbersome than in prior versions of Elements.   If you are adding photos from more than one album, then you have to jump between Organizer and Video Editor, rather than just work consistently in Video Editor as before.  Still, it is a workable method.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Now I would ask that you use what influence you have with the project developers to bring back the option to simply add media in album order as before.  or why would video editor ever want only the option to assemble clips in order of the time shot!

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: Add media in album order
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

As I have stated, this is not Adobe. User to user. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway and have no access to the Adobe project developers.

Whenever a feature's presence or absence becomes a question, typically you will see the reply to file an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

Versions 11 and 12 have major changes in workspaces as compared to versions of the program earlier than 11. You can order Elements Organizer Album order in 11 and 12 as I have described. As for what I described and did not describe, where did you find the comment related to using the Share/ detour?

Way 1 gives exactly the same Elements Organizer ordering situation as the Elements Organizer Album Share/Burn Video DVD/Blu-Ray detour, that is,

Album order not represented in Project Assets, but Elements Organizer Album ordered content ordered on the Timeline.

Just what earlier version of Premiere Elements did you use where you found this Elements Organizer Album order matter less cumbersome? Earlier than 10 when there you were greeted by an Organize area displaying all the past Elements Organizer project imported media for all past projects? Then the Organize header/Media with its Filter by: Album was a help if you wanted to Get Media from the Elements Organizer Album. As I recall, users complained about that type of interface, asking "Why do I have to look at the content from all those past projects?" Then the Filter by in the Premiere Elements pre-10 Organize /Media was a life saver at times.

If history repeats itself, there is expected to be a new version of Premiere Elements released by Adobe at the end of September 2014. It will be interesting to learn if Adobe maintains the workspaces as represented in 11 and 12 or develops yet others? Only Adobe knows the feature set for the new version and that type of information is not released by them until the moment of release of the new version.

ATR

• 14. Re: Add media in album order
                                    freethedata Level 1

What you describe in the second to last paragraph below was the way I was accustomed to add media from albums in my previous version of Elements-8,5,3.   clicked on the Organize tab, media button, and a drop down list to the right gave me the ability to import the media in album order or date order  The album order option has been deleted in 12 (and 11 too, from what you say).  I already reported that defect to Adobe.  What I was looking for was an alternative or workaround, which you provided.

On rereading, you did not explicitly suggest going to Share/ Burn DVD; I tried that method only after you originally suggested select files then right click on Edit in Video Editor.

Sent from my iPad