5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 4:33 AM by BossLevel13

CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors

TLecho Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've been researching this one for over a week now and still haven't found a solution. The short story it is that my RAM preview is limited to only a few seconds regardless of work area, but I've got over 4Gb of RAM available and open for use. CPU is barely being used as well. I'm also intermittently getting the "After Effects Error: RAM Preview requires 2 or more frames to playback,"  which confuses me as I have 4Gb or ram available. RAM is still close to 4Gb during and after preview. This has been a repeated problem, not matter how many times the memory is purged, the RAM is free'd up with the Memory Clear App (as recommended in previous threads), or the computer is restarted. Memory and Cache have been optimized for best performance as well. Also, final renders are fine and have no problems. It's only with RAM preview and previewing the project that I'm having trouble. It seems to me that the project is being bottlenecked somewhere but not sure where or how. To open, here's the system I'm running it on. It may not be a brute but it should be enough to handle the work.

System:
      Program:
      Adobe After Effects CS6 (11.0.4.2
      System: Mid 2010 iMAC, 27-inch

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

RAM:   8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (two 4gb cards)

Graphics: ATI Radion HD 5750 1024 MB

Software: OS X 10.9.4

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Green 2TB Sata drive

-6.0 Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 7.13.27 PM.png

Project Specifics: (Has happened across other similar projects)

Project: Educational video with graphics, simple animations, and link to Premiere Pro timeline.

-33 layers (most are highlight boxes and animated arrows)

-13 small PNG images (Arrows and simple graphics with 1 3D layer)

-7 Short Compositions

-7 Text Layers

-5 shape layers

-1 Premiere Pro Timeline

Composition Settings: 1280 x 720  at 23.976fps

Project Location: Company Server

Problems

-Ram preview only renders a few seconds, regardless of Work Area or "From Current Time" enabled.

-Fairly frequent, "After Effects Error: RAM preview requires two or more frames to playback."

-Scrolling through project is very pixelated.

When Problems Occurs: When trying to perform a RAM preview.

Attempted Solutions:

- Use of Memory Clean App to open up more RAM. (Makes little to no difference when problem is at peak.)

- Shut down and restart computer (Does work for a short time but problem reappears within an hour)

- Closing all apps and running just After Effects. (Little to no difference)

- Turning off motion blur, turning on 3D draft and using Proxies to simplify project. (Little to no difference)

- Purge: All Memory. (No difference)
      - Stopping any unnecessary processes in Activity Monitor. (No difference)

Additional Information:
      -Projects seem to take a little longer than normal to open. (1-2 min max.)

Thanks in advance for any support on this issue. It's been quite a stressful timesink.

• 1. Re: CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What? Have you ever considered turning off MP rendering...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't have enough RAM to do MP rendering. And, even if you did, you should definitely set at least one CPU to be reserved for other applications. Note how it says that actual CPUs to be used are 0? This also might be helpful: optimizing for performance: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

• 3. Re: CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors
              TLecho Level 1

Thank you both for the input. I will admit I am still getting used to the finer workings of After Effects. I tried running the program with MP rendering turned off a few days ago, but it still came back with a few second render or a "needs 2 or more frames" error. I did not close and reopen AE after doing this though, so that may have something to do with it. Today on the other hand, after resetting everything again last night before leaving the office the program seems to be running smoothly for the moment. I've set the MP rendering option off, but this problem usually crops up after being used for a little while. If this solution works I'll post it as the answer. Thank you both again for your input.

Best,
              T

• 4. Re: CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors
                TLecho Level 1

Unfortunately the problem has come back again after an hour of use this morning. To show how much RAM I have available at the time the issue appears, I've included the Memory Clean window showing 4.44GB of ram available at the time of incident. It first happened a few minutes ago with roughly 1GB available, so I and purged all memory in After Effects and cleaned the RAM with the Memory Clear app, but still no such luck.  I've been working with the same actions and material all morning so nothing new was introduced to the project when the error occurred. The work I was performing at the time was animating highlight boxes over a screen capture, but again it seems to happen regardless of what I'm working on. I'm going to restart the computer and see how long it makes it before needing another reset. Any other ideas as to what it could be? Also, if there's any more information that might be helpful to solving the issue please let me know and I'll be happy to share. Thank you again for the support!

Szalam, thank you for the link. I had been to the page previously but am going back to watch them again to see if I missed something. If it is a bottleneck, I'm not sure where it could be as of yet.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 10.39.19 AM.png

And just to make sure I'm not making any other simple mistakes VVV
                Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 10.55.45 AM.png

• 5. Re: CS6 RAM preview short and "needs 2 or more frames" errors
                  BossLevel13 Level 1

I hear ya. I am also experiencing the same issue with very basic comp settings.