3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 6:46 PM by Jao vdL

Lightroom 4.4 will not import NEF RAW files from Nikon D610

trailbait

I shoot a Nikon D800 and have never had any issues importing my NEF RAW files into Lightroom. I borrowed a friend's Nikon D610 and shot a bunch of NEF RAW files. I downloaded them to my computer the same way I always do. For some reason, Lightroom will not import them. The error message is: "The files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom. (455)"

My Lightroom 4.4 is current and up-to-date.

Bottom line: I have a bunch of RAW photo files I can't import into Lightroom for editing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.4 will not import NEF RAW files from Nikon D610
          dj_paige Level 9

You have to either:

1. Upgrade to Lightroom 5.6
          2. use the FREE Adobe DNG Converter version 8.6 to convert your NEF to DNG, which can be read by Lightroom
          3. use the Nikon software provided with the camera
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 4.4 will not import NEF RAW files from Nikon D610
            trailbait Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Just curious -- is there some difference between the NEF files created on my Nikon D800 (which are easily imported into Lightroom) and the NEF files created on the Nikon D610 (which are not easily imported into Lightroom)?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.4 will not import NEF RAW files from Nikon D610
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Just curious -- is there some difference between the NEF files created on my Nikon D800 (which are easily imported into Lightroom) and the NEF files created on the Nikon D610 (which are not easily imported into Lightroom)

Lightroom 5 supports the D610. There is a big difference between nef from the D610 and older cameras. They were shot with a camera that Adobe hadn't profiled yet when LR 4.4 was out. Otherwise, if you hack the nef files to read that they were shot on a D600, LR 4.4 will read them, but I would caution against doing that as the sensor is slightly different on the D610 than on the D600, resulting in differences in color rendering. Simplest is as dj says to convert the nets to dng (which embeds the newer profiles in the file) or to upgrade to LR 5.