13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 2:50 PM by Szalam

AE CS6 crashing on roto brush

praguian Level 1

AE CS6

MacBook Pro mid-2013

AE keeps crashing with the error starting with "140735236084496> <ae.blitpipe> <2> Making New Context" whenever I try to use the Roto Brush on a MPEG clip.

Sorry, I don't know what other information is relevant to you to help, so I'll start with this and we can go from there. I couldn't find this issue discussed anywhere. It's specifically being caused by the Roto Brush, seemingly.

• 1. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Convert your footage to another format.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
            praguian Level 1

Which format? Can that be done in AE directly?

• 3. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd recommend doing it in Adobe Media Encoder.

As to which format to do, that's up to you. Whatever you usually use for an intermediate production codec. QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec usually works pretty well. At high quality levels it is close enough to lossless for most work. If you want a truly lossless workflow, QuickTime with the PNG codec works well.

• 4. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

I'd recommend doing it in Adobe Media Encoder.

As to which format to do, that's up to you. Whatever you usually use for an intermediate production codec. QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec usually works pretty well. At high quality levels it is close enough to lossless for most work. If you want a truly lossless workflow, QuickTime with the PNG codec works well.

Thanks Szalam. But MPEG is incompatible with Roto Brush, then? I must've missed that somehow. I'm surprised it didn't come up in my extensive googling of this issue.

• 5. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush

praguian wrote:

Thanks Szalam. But MPEG is incompatible with Roto Brush, then? I must've missed that somehow.

It's not that MPEG is incompatible with Roto Brush, it's just that eliminating any temporal codecs is a good troubleshooting step.

H.264 is one of the most widely used video compression codecs right now. It is MPEG-4. It compresses video largely by not containing a full picture for every frame. There will be some key frames that contain data for every pixel, but for the rest of the frames, they are interpolating from previous frames and from motion data. It's super-interesting. Check out datamoshing videos to see what happens when you add the motion from one video to the picture of another or otherwise futzing around with a temporal codec.

The problem is that After Effects (like Nuke and other pixel-based compositors) is that it works based off of uncompressed, full video on every frame. Now, since CS5, After Effects has improved significantly in how it handles video that uses such interframe compression. However, when you are experiencing weird issues, removing temporal, interframe compression codecs from the picture will often solve the problem. Intraframe compression is fine (QuckTime with Photo-JEPG, for example), but interframe may cause issues. Now, it shouldn't be a problem, but it's always worth checking.

• 6. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                    praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

praguian wrote:

Thanks Szalam. But MPEG is incompatible with Roto Brush, then? I must've missed that somehow.

It's not that MPEG is incompatible with Roto Brush, it's just that eliminating any temporal codecs is a good troubleshooting step.

Ah, right on. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

• 7. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                      praguian Level 1

Szalam, unfortunately, converting the clip to Quicktime with the Photo - JPEG codec didn't resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

• 8. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush

Now we need a lot more information. What version number of CS6 do you have? (If it's not 11.0.4, update!)

OS, system specs, etc.

• 9. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                          praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Now we need a lot more information. What version number of CS6 do you have? (If it's not 11.0.4, update!)

OS, system specs, etc.

AE CS6 - 11.0.4.2

Mac OSX - 10.9.4

MacBook Pro Mid-2012

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

• 10. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush

Are there any effects or plugins being used?

Any third-party codecs installed on the system?

Have you checked for these kinds of issues? fixing permissions problem

This is starting to get into the really technical stuff that Mylenium is good at figuring out, but I'm not.

• 11. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                              praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Are there any effects or plugins being used?

Any third-party codecs installed on the system?

Have you checked for these kinds of issues? fixing permissions problem

This is starting to get into the really technical stuff that Mylenium is good at figuring out, but I'm not.

No other effects are being used on the .mp4 files I'm trying to Roto Brush. I don't know about any codecs...I don't recall installing any myself. Easy way to check?

And I don't think folder permissions are my issue, since Roto Brushing occasionally works (though rarely, in this project at least).

• 12. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush
                                praguian Level 1

My footage is on an external Thunderbolt SSD, along with my project...could that be causing it?

• 13. Re: AE CS6 crashing on roto brush

It shouldn't be, but for the sake of thorough troubleshooting, I would suggest trying it somewhere else.