12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 11:10 AM by Rick Gerard

Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.

kamppis

Hello. I have been trying to learn using this and made a single clip where i shoot with mp5. I mostly got what i tried to do exept one thing. I cant keep bullet holes to stay still. I have tried to track motion with motion track option and i tried to track motion with Mocca. After effect can track things in my screen and when i create null object it follows the point i chosen. As soon as i place my bullet hole in screen and set it as parent to the null it can follow it, but still it is way too shaky and moves so much that it is easily to notice it isn't staying in it's place.

Is it possible that quality is too low or camera is way too shaky to able to track this clip? I am kinda beginner and learning to do things effectively. Video to my clip is here if you wanna check it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55521312/test.WMV

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't see your video due to restrictions on the network where I work. However, until someone comes along who can look at them, here are some great resources: Tracking and stabilizing motion TONS of useful info for getting a more solid track.

• 2. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When putting up a sample you should always use a universal streaming format like h.264. The YouTube preset is always good even if the video is posted on DropBox.

In answer to your question you probably are not using the right tracking workflow. It depends on your shot. If there is not a huge amount of movement in the shot I like to stabilize (stop all movement) the thing in the shot that I want to apply an effect to, then add the effect, then re-introduce the motion to the shot using nulls and expressions. It is all very easy. Check out this very basic tutorial where I add a graphic to the shot and make if follow the girl in the marching band.

If that doesn't do it for you, use the AME to compress your wmv so more of us can take a look at it and we can give you other suggestions.

• 3. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
              kamppis Level 1

Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry, i didn't know about the h.264 encoding. I will surely use it from now on. However i uploaded my videos to youtube.

Here is the video without bullet holes:

Original without bullet holes - YouTube

And here is video with bullet holes.

Video with moving bullethole. - YouTube

I placed my tracker to the chimney. The null objects seems to track it very well but i don't just know why the bullet hole jumps so much. And thank you both for the links. I will watch them today and try to learn.

• 4. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                kamppis Level 1

I'm answerring to myself. Stange. if i move the bullet hole near the null-object i can indeed see it is standing still. But whenever i move it near the barn wall i can clearly see it moving very fast. The more far i move it from the null object the more unstable it becomes.

• 5. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                  dsol21

It looks like it's simply not moving at all in those clips.

The process I'd use in this situation is simple:

1. Create a null object and name it "trackerNull" or similar

2. highlight your video layer, and track in Mocha AE

3. In mocha, create a shape tracking area around the flat wall of the barn - track only position scale and rotation (unless there's perspective shift). Then export to the clipboard the motion for AE (position,scale, rotation - not corner pinning)

4. back in AE, move the playback head to the start of the comp, and paste the motion data to your null. Now toggle down the transform properties on the null layer. You will see keyframes for anchor point, position, rotation and scale. Delete all the anchor point keyframes - they're not needed and will mess up your track. Then reset the anchor point to 0,0

5. scrub through the timeline and check the null is tracking correctly. If so, parent your bullet hole to the null, turn on the motion blue swith for the bullet hole layer - and it should all be good (make sure you have no movement keyframes on your bullet hole layer, and the layer is set to 2D - not 3D - too)

That's it

• 6. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.

Now that I can see your video, the problem is obvious. It's called parallax. The chimney moves differently than the barn door because it is farther away from the optical center of the camera. You need to track where you want the bulletholes to hit.

• 7. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                      dsol21 Level 1

Oh - bit of a typo there on the last point. That's "motion blur switch" you need to toggle on

• 8. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                        dsol21 Level 1

Parallax won't be the issue if he's doing a simple 2D track in Mocha, but yes - he does need an area roughly positioned at the same 3D depth. The side of that barn should be an easy one to do

• 9. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.

He tracked the chimney. The chimney moves differently than the barn door. Parallax is the issue, hundred percent.

The chimney and the barn door are on completely different planes. Using Mocha or the AE tractor or Syntheyes or any other traker, it would make no difference. You have to track or you want to bulletholes to hit. That is exactly what you told him to do, track the barn door.

• 10. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                            dsol21 Level 1

Yup agreed, I think we're botharguing for the same thing   Hopefully the numbered steps I mentioned will also help -  the issue with anchor point keyframes (and making sure you paste in at the start of the layer) are also common mistakes for newbies

• 11. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.
                              Trent Armstrong Level 1

If you are using After Effects CC, you can use the Camera Tracker. Once the track is finished, right click between on a target that looks to be sitting on the side of the barn and select Create Solid. Then replace the solid with your bullet hole image.

• 12. Re: Bullet holes wont stay still no matter what.

Camera tracker is probably the wrong tool for this. It may work OK but would unnecessarily complicate the composite. I've done thousands of this kind of scenes over the last 20 years and simple tracking of the target area and then adding the composite as a 2D layer is always easiest unless there is a significant perspective shift in the scene. The first technique that I posted where I lock a target to the girl in the marching band is the best way to composite on moving objects and would work perfectly on this shot if the stabilization point was the plane of the barn door where the bullets strike. Mocha's planar tracker would also do a great job. You could even use Mocha to stabilize the shot. The key to making shots like this work is to get a stable canvas on which you can lay your effect.