14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 8:15 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?

DSgal

Having used Premiere Elements 10 for a while, I now have Premiere Elements 12 on my PC, I like to set the duration for still images to 5 secs, not the default 6.  I made a mistake when doing this by altering the Video Transition Default Duration in error, realised my mistake and reset that at 30 frames (is that correct for PAL?)  I then altered the Still Image duration from 150 to 125, although it is showing at 150 when I access General Preferences.  When I import a still image in, it says 5.00 sec under image in Project Assets but when added to the project all the images say duration 5.01 secs.  I have no idea what I've done wrong and why 5.01 secs seems to be the duration.

Please could anyone tell me how to reset the General Preferences back to default settings, if this can't be done, what should I have all the General Preference settings at for PAL?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Same thing in Premiere Elements 10 and 12.

If you have a PAL project, when you open Edit Menu/Preferences/General, you will see defaults

Video Transition Default Duration = 30 frames

In the PAL project 25 frames/second, those 30 frames are equivalent to 1.20 seconds.

Audio Transition Default Duration = 1.00 seconds

In the PAL project 25 frames/second, 1.00 second is equivalent to 25 frames

(frames vs samples for audio is another story for another time)

Still Image Default Duration = 150 frames

In the PAL project 25 frames/second, so those 150 frames are equivalent to 6.00 seconds.

The above defaults will apply to all the stills that are imported AFTER the sets are made.

If you want to change the Still Image Default Duration for the project from 6.00 to 5.00 seconds, then BEFORE Still import you change

150 frames to 125 frames. That gives 5.00, not 5.01 seconds.

Examples

6.00 second duration = 150 frames

5.00 second duration = 125 frames

4.00 second duration = 100 frames

3.00 second duration = 75 frames

2.00 second duration = 50 frames

1.00 second duration = 25 frames

Again, these settings are done BEFORE and not after Still import.

If you are in the project with your Stills already on the Timeline with the Still Image Default Duration of 150 frames (6.00 seconds) as defined in preferences and you decide to change the duration of the Still from 6.00 seconds to 5.00 seconds, then you right click the still, select Time Stretch, and set the Time Stretch dialog to 5.00 seconds.

Example in Time Stretch dialog....from 00;00;06;00 to 00;00;05;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames).

This can be done for one Timeline Still or more than one Timeline Still at a time.

Please review and consider and then let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
            DSgal Level 1

Thank you so much for your very helpful detailed answer, I have checked all the defaults as you listed in your reply, in my PAL project.  I confirm I have Video Transition set at 30 frames, Audio at 1.00 sec and Still Image Duration at 150 before import, and as such expecting each still image to be 6.00 secs long.  I imported 3 pics to test, so play duration of all should total 18 secs, but although the pics show as 6.00 secs each in Project Assets, the total play duration shows as 17.24 secs.  I've taken a screenshot to show this and attach below.  My PAL project settings are HD1080i, 25fps, 1920x1080.  Have I got something wrong or am I missing something?  I felt fairly confident using version 10, but I'm afraid that version 12 is frustrating me somewhat in a number of areas.  I had successfully used version 10 having changed the still image duration and playback time was as I expected it to be. Thank you once again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Prem Elements Screenshot.jpg

• 3. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Some things to look at

a. Right click a blank space in the track, and select, from the drop down menu, "Snap", if it is not already selected.

b. Delete the clips shown on the Timeline in the screenshot

c. Drag the clips again from Project Assets to the Timeline, making sure they are snapping against one another, no overlapping.

d. With your Timeline Indicator at the beginning of the Video Track, press the computer keyboard End key.

Does the Timeline Indicator go to the 18 seconds 00 frames or 17 seconds and 24 frames?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                DSgal Level 1

Thank you once again ATR for your continued help.  I followed your instructions as follows:

a) Snap was already selected

b & c) did as you stated

d) pressed computer keyboard End key - the timeline indicator did go from beginning of the track to end and showed 18.00, however, when I press play from beginning it still shows it finishing at 17.24

I'm not sure why that is happening, might it be because (even though I have reset the General Preference Video Transition Duration back to 30),  I made the earlier error of changing it from 30 to 25 instead of the Still Image Duration from 150 to 125 to get my preferred 5.00 sec.

I'm not too worried about still image movies I make, but I'm worried in case it will affect smooth camcorder footage playback.

Thank you once again.

• 5. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                  DSgal Level 1

I've taken another screenshot (attached below) to show the Timeline Indicator says 18.00 at end of final image, but that 17.24 shows to the left under final image by 'play' buttons etc.  Should they both read 18.00?

Prem Elements Screenshot 2.jpg

• 6. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Thanks for the following.

Challenging issue. Let us see if the following gives us any insights into the whys for this.

1.  Given you have 3 stills, each 6.00 seconds (150 frames) in your Premiere Elements PAL project.

Video Track 1 seems to be giving the expected information, that is, total duration for the 3 Timeline clips = 18.00 seconds.

But, the timecode above the Timeline section (at the left bottom of the monitor) is showing 17 seconds and 24 frames (17.96 seconds) which when rounded

off would be 18.00 seconds.

I am not seeing this. Even though it presents as a very small difference (a frame away), it is a difference that you see and I do not. So, let us explore some ideas in the search for the whys.

1. Right now, where that 00:00:17:24 is presenting instead of 00:00:18:00, you are looking at the "25 fps Timeline" for the project's Display Format. That display format can also be represented as "Frames" instead of "25 fps Timeline". In your case with the "25 fps Timeline" as the Display Format, you would expect to be seeing 00:00:18:00 and not 00:00:17:24. But, what would be the result if you used "Frames" as the Display Format. Then you would be expected to be seeing 450 frames when the Timeline Indicator is at the end of the 3rd still.

To change the Display Format, you can

a. Go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Display Format field and change it to Frames.

or

b. In the Premiere Elements workspace, as you hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard, click once on

that timecode display of 00:00;17:24.  Does a 450 frames reading now replace that timecode display?

Depending on the results, we will try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

I will give you details for that next.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                      DSgal Level 1

Hi ATR, I've just done what you asked and got a 449 reading.  Unfortunately I have to go out now so may not be able to respond to any further reply until later.

Many thanks for your continued help and support

DSgal

• 8. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Thanks for the follow up information that further supports the missing frame.

Let us go for the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Preps file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for your results whenever you schedule permits.

Thanks again for staying with the search for the why for this frame.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                          DSgal Level 1

Hi ATR, Many thanks, I did as you directed above to delete the Prefs file.  I then opened a new project, and recreated the earlier sample project of 3 images but the problem still persists, in that it shows 17.24 rather than 18.00 in the Timecode Display.

I asked my husband to help me with unhiding folders to delete the Prefs file, unfortunately he mistakenly hid my whole user area, which I have eventually managed to get back but now I have added problems with my user area in that I can no longer right click my windows start button, along with other issues.  I'm afraid I'm now out of my techno comfort zone and may just have to live how things seem to be, as frustrating as it is.

Thank you so much for trying to help, I really have appreciated it.

DSgal

• 10. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Thanks for the update.

Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements is running on.

It is probably Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Maybe I can help you get the Start area back to where it was.

We should at least be able to get the Start button back and maybe other areas that were reset may fall back into

place.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thanks. Do not give up.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                              DSgal Level 1

ATR, my PC is running Windows 8.1 and I believe is 64 bit.  Unfortunately I've had to turn the PC off for the night now (I'm replying via tablet).  I've just realised that although I deleted the Prefs file as you directed, I didn't then delete the whole 12.0 folder as you also suggested if deleting the prefs file still didn't sort out the issue.  I will have a go at doing that tomorrow.

With regard to my not being able to right click my windows start button, my husband can still do it in his user area, so it's just mine that is affected and only since he made the mistake of hiding my user area.  It is very kind of you to offer to help with that, if it is allowed as part of this forum, as you can probably tell I'm very new to this forum and also don't have grey much technical knowledge!

DSgal

• 12. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Thanks for message.

I also have Windows 8.1 64 bit and am still trying to find my way around it. I think I am OK with the Start menu and shortcuts, but still learning.

See if this Microsoft document on Windows 8.1 helps.

Where is the Start menu? - Windows Help

I am sure that you can work out the details of the Premiere Elements troubleshooting. But, if any questions or need clarification, do not hesitate to ask.

We will be looking forward to your results related to deleting the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                                  DSgal Level 1

ATR

Update to deleting whole 12.00 folder, duly done but I'm afraid no change in situation.  I decided to check out what it does on my laptop, on which I have version 10 of Premiere Elements.  It does exactly the same, so maybe I'm seeing a problem where there isn't one, and I only noticed because I'd made the error in changing the wrong setting in general preferences and thought it was to do with that.  I've had no problem with playback when saving projects to movies with version 10 on the laptop, so I will leave it as it is and worry no more. (On the plus side, I've been able to resolve my windows start button right click issues and get my missing apps back this morning, it took a while but I got there in the end.)

Very many thanks for your time and efforts to help me resolve the issues I've had.  You certainly reassured me that I'd got my settings right for PAL projects in General Preferences, and I'm sure your detailed answers above will help many others too.  Thank you.

DSgal

• 14. Re: How do I reset General Preferences in Premier Elements 12?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DSgal

Thank you for the follow ups. All is sounding good. Great job with stick-to-it-tiveness and troubleshooting.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes as you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR