3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 12:10 PM by Slipangle10000

cc 2014: rendering H.264 crashes

Slipangle10000 Level 1

AfterFXcc 2014: rendering H.264 crashes at ~1 second. Even with a fresh project and no layers.

Capture.JPG

3DBOXX W8920Processor

Dual Xeon CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Windows 7 Professional

Total Physical Memory  32.0 GB

NVIDIA Quadro K5000 / RAM      4.0GB

• 1. Re: cc 2014: rendering H.264 crashes
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You are likely hitting a bug in Apple's H.264 QuickTime codec. It fails badly (crashes) when there are a large number or threads being used.

I recommend not using H.264 in a QuickTime .mov container but instead creating .mp4 H.264 files through Adobe Media Encoder.

• 2. Re: cc 2014: rendering H.264 crashes
            Trent Armstrong Level 1

I know the setting is in there to render h264 out of AE, but it is very inefficient. After Effects renders a frame at a time and adds it to the end of a movie. h264 encoding looks at blocks of video an determines the areas that can be discarded. This helps the final product maintain a smaller file size. Rendering h.264 straight out of AE won't give you the smallest file size or the best results.

My recommendation is to either render out a high resolution movie and then encode it to h.264 using Adobe Media Encoder, Episode, or ffmpeg. If you are just looking to save a step, you might try rendering the the video using the h.264 settings in Adobe Media Encoder.

• 3. Re: cc 2014: rendering H.264 crashes
              Slipangle10000 Level 1

Thnx Todd and Trent. I will give that a try. I tried it on a few other machines, and they worked fine (strangely). So I am going to trash my prefs.

I know CC is moving towards AME as the render hub, but I like the render queue as record of my workflow if I open the project a year from now.