15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 12:10 PM by jivebuck

Re-linking assets

jivebuck

I was part way through an edit project  using PE11 when I needed to reload Windows 7 on my 64 bit PC. It was very slow and my RAM allocation for the motherboard at max. I had backed up all my files on an external hard drive.

At the same time I upgraded to PE12. When I now load my project the link between the timeline EDL file and my assets doesn't function. I know the facility is automatic on Premiere Pro . How do I relink in PE12?

Mike Owens

• 1. Re: Re-linking assets
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike Owens

Based on your description, when you open the project created before the system changes, you should be getting "Where is the file.....?" for each of the files that is not longer connected to the project.

First, you place the project's source media (originals) in a suitable known location.

When a message asks for a specific file, you go to its known save location, click on it, and then hit Select in the "Where is the file....?" dialog. If you get lucky, this will trigger a reconnect for more than just one "Where is the file ....?" message. If that is not the case, then you have to respond to each of those messages one at a time.

Replace Footage is an alternative approach and has the added perk of replacement and maintaining the your edits to the file (s)

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

Keep in mind that, when you import files into Premiere Elements, you have copies of the originals in the project, not the originals. But those copies do need to trace back to the originals at their hard drive save location that existed when they were imported into the program.

Depending on the circumstances, program's Project Archiver might be used to avoid media disconnect issues.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

ATR

• 2. Re: Re-linking assets
            jivebuck Level 1

Hi ATR,

I followed the 'replace footage' procedure and selected the original media

folder I had created for the project and got this response; "This type of

file is not supported or the required codec is not installed" ??

Further guidance please?

Plus this observation. The edit was extensive and over 27 minutes in

duration. This would be very onerous doing a clip at a time.

Mike Owens

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 3. Re: Re-linking assets
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jivebuck

The Media Offline (missing media) syndrome and be a nasty business and very time consuming "one by one" through those "Where is the file.....?" messages or using Replace Footage.

Does responding to the "Where is the file....?" give any better outcome than using "Replace Footage"?

Where are the source files now, on the Local Disc C or an external hard drive? If external hard drive, do a mini test run in which you move a selected few of the project's files to the computer desktop. Then open the project and use the "Where is the file....?" message or Replace Footage, selecting the specific file that the project is looking for from the desktop collection which was prepared beforehand to have the file being sought.

Please update us on the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Re-linking assets
                jivebuck Level 1

Hi again, I have the asset files in one folder on both the desktop and an

external drive.

The first file in my edit that is called for is in fact an opening jpg

still. If I right click on the still in the assets then  click 'replace

footage' - the next screen that comes up allows me to browse the assets on

either source. The problem then is, the files all appear as 'rendered

files' with a different set of serial numbers so that I can't identify the

file?

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 5. Re: Re-linking assets
                  jivebuck Level 1

HI ATP here's a screen grab ref my last message to you

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 6. Re: Re-linking assets
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jivebuck

Thanks for the replies. But, your screen grab reference did not post. Please try again.

But, before you do, I have a question that  just might target the issue.

The following caught my attention

The problem then is, the files all appear as 'rendered

files' with a different set of serial numbers so that I can't identify the

file?

You should not be involved with rendered files. Where are the originals files that were imported into the program as source media?

Those are the files you should be targeting with the "Where is the file...?" messages or Replace Footage feature.

When you render Timeline files that the program want you to render to get the best possible preview, no matter what the file for format is being rendered (still or video), for an SD project the rendered file is DV.AVI. For a HD project, you get a MPEG2.mpeg file and a companion .xmp informational file. Any chance you are trying to use an .xmp file to respond to the problem?

What would be great screenshot(s) - screenshot of the "Where is file.....?" message and another screenshot displaying the hard drive file (file name included) you are targeting for that particular message.

Please review and consider and then we will consider what to do next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Re-linking assets
                      jivebuck Level 1

Hi AT,

Here's the  screen grabs this time as a jpeg  showing the rendered files on

the 'where is' screen plus the hard drive folder contents.

Does this mean that my original material has somehow been over written?

If Jpegs are not suitable could send tiffs but they are larger files

yours

Mike

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 8. Re: Re-linking assets
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike Owens

Thanks for the replies. But, your screen grabs are not posting. Are you using your computer browser to make contact with Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, setting up a Reply, and then using the camera icon at the top of the Reply to browse to and insert your screen grab as jpg in the Reply?

But, backing up a bit....if the "Where is the file....?" message is naming and asking for a specific rendered file and it is having problem when you find the exact one, select it, and hit Select in the message, then hit the Skip button and move on to the next message. When you do that and move on, are all the messages naming different rendered files or do you get some jpg requests as well. Are you successful with the "Where is the file....?" message when it is asking for something other than a rendered file?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Re-linking assets
                          jivebuck Level 1

[image: Inline images 2][image: Inline images 1]

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 10. Re: Re-linking assets
                            jivebuck Level 1

Ref your backing up AT. When I open PE 12 and select the edit I get the

timeline but obviously no media in there. The 'the where is screen' comes

up looking for the first image (opening still back 001 jpg) as per my

screen grab which I hope you now have. However the assets as listed have

had all the file titles changed and appear as  previously mentioned as

rendered files.

The grab shot for the hard drive reveals a similar situation.

When I saved all my files to the external drive prior to reinstalling

windows I am now wondering if the original media on my desktop folder for

some reason wasn't included in the process but I can't think why?

What if I reload the original footage from the camera? Unfortunately the

reprocessed stills of which there were many, won't be included as also

sound tracks and fx. Not a road to go down unless there's no alternative as

it represents days of work.

So I hope you get me out of this pit I seemed to had dug!

Yours in thanks,Mike

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 11. Re: Re-linking assets
                              jivebuck Level 1

Hi Again AT

I had a thought in that if the file requested by 'where is' is in the

system then the PC's file search option which included the hard drive would

find its location. It doesn't!

So I guess the required material has been lost somehow?

yours

Mike

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 12. Re: Re-linking assets
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike Owens

If all you have are the rendered files for the project that you are trying reconnect to its source media, that is not going to work. These files (.avi or .mpeg) can be imported into a Premiere Elements project as new source media, but cannot be used to replace missing media already imported into the project.

The "Where is the file .....?" is specific for the source media file name being looked for by the program.

Consider

a. the name is not the same as the original import

b. the rendered format is in a different format than the source media file....

for SD project, the rendered files are DV.AVI whether your Timeline rendered a still or video

for HD project, the rendered files are MPEG2.mpeg with a companion .xmp file whether your Timeline rendered a still or video

What you want is the specifically named original even if it is in a different location than what it was in when you imported it the first place.

One Solution...

Find the original files, place them on the hard drive, and point each of the "Where is the file....?" messages to the original file with the specific name cited in the message.

Another Solution...

Find the original files, place them on the hard drive.

Open this project to the workspace by clicking on Skip All in the first "Where is the file....?" message. In the opened project Expert workspace/Project Assets, right click a media offline thumbnail, and select Replace Footage. Point the Replace Footage dialog to the hard drive location where the original is for the media offline file named (under the file thumbnail) in Project Assets. This route is probably preferred. Although it may be time consuming, at least this way is supposed to retain the file edits before it went missing.

Please double check, even if you have, to make sure that you did not store the originals in a safe place somewhere. Do you recall ever using the Project Archiver/Archive Project or Copy Project?

Please review the above and then we can see where we are in this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Re-linking assets
                                  jivebuck Level 1

Thank you so much for all you done for me thus far. I have a busy weekend

ahead and follow through your advice and come back to you with any

findings. Your patience is appreciated.

Mike

Yours,

Mike Owens

• 14. Re: Re-linking assets
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike Owens

We appreciate that you have reviewed the troubleshooting analysis and suggestions.

We will be watching for further developments whenever your schedule permits.

These types of Premiere Elements media disconnected issues can be very challenging.

But do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Re-linking assets
                                      jivebuck Level 1

Hi again AT.

Had some time to apply your suggestions today and this was the result.

Option 1 Find original files and place in new folder. Direct the 'where is

the file' to it.

Response; "This type of file is not supported or the requisite codec is not

installed"???

Option 2 Skip 'where is' then right click on thumbnail in assets - replace

footage - direct to replacement file in new folder.

response; Error message The importer reported a generic error.??

In each case I was very careful to exactly copy the requested file name.

I have again used the PC search engine to try to locate the missing

original media files but to no avail.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they are missing when everything

else was safely saved..

I do confess to not using project archiver or copy project.

When editing I constantly save usually after rendering to smooth out the

video replay as well as the auto save of course, which goes to a second

internal hard drive, then at the end of the session I back it all up on an

external drive!

Kicking my study wall hasn't helped either!!

Yours in frustration

Mike

Yours,

Mike Owens