5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 12:00 PM by A.T. Romano

What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?

moonpie001

I do not know why some brands like Memorex work with my PE11 and others like Sony do not.  I do not know what speed 8X the program can handle?  What are the pros and cons of using different speeds on results?

Thanks

Rich

• 1. Re: What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

moonpie001

The speed of the Premiere Elements burn to disc is impacted by the disc speed reading and the specifications of your burner, neither of which you have settings control over in the program as I see it.

We do not promote any particular brand of disc. But you can see mentioned often the use of Verbatim discs for burn to purposes. But, best check the online reviews of current disc popularity for durability and reliability. Premiere Elements burn to will support DVD-R, DVD- RW, DVD double layer, BD-R, BD-RE discs. I have never found it to support DVD-RAM. For DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, I have used 8X and 16X rated discs successfully consistently. The BD -R and BD-RE discs have speed rating of 6X and 2X respectively. No problems with them or my Blu-ray DVD burner rated 12X.

If Write Speed becomes an issue for you, you might consider Premiere Elements burn to folder and then taking the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in the 3rd party ImgBurn where you can set Write Speed from 4X to 16X.

What is your target

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

AVCHD format on DVD disc

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

ATR

• 2. Re: What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?
            moonpie001 Level 1

At this time my target would be DVD-Video on DVD disc.  I have had the best luck using Memorex DVD+R 8X.

One other question. What kind of disc can I record on today and then add to it tomorrow with some additional footage?  Is it possible to do this with PSE?  I assume I would have to overwrite the whole disc.  The example where I would want to use this kind of bazar behavior would be if I was on vacation and had several cameras or additional footage I may want to add in later on.  I also do genealogy, which always has something new to be added (pictures, film clips and or documentation).  Are some DVDs better for archiving than others?

Thanks

Rich

• 3. Re: What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich

Thanks for the follow up.

As for

What kind of disc can I record on today and then add to it tomorrow with some additional footage?

You cannot do that with any burn to in Premiere Elements (any version).

In Premiere Elements....

1. The DVD-R allows for one burn to on the disc all at one time.

2. The DVD-RW will allow you to use the disc again after a Premiere Elements burn to to it, but it will overwrite (erase) what was burned

to the disc in the prior session. No add on.

If you are in the Elements Organizer 11 and using one of its burn to data disc opportunities (See File Menu/"Copy/Move to Removalble Disc"), you could explore the multisession possibility by enabling the preference for multisession. (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Files and the option for "Enable Multisession Burning to CD/DVD.)

I would suggest that you look into the Premiere Elements Project Archiver feature where the project file (project.prel) is saved with its source media. This might be a consideration for add on chances.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

A Google search reveals at least one disc manufacturer marketing a "Archival Grade Gold DVD-R" expected to last 100 years.

But, I wonder what the technology would be like in 100 years and if a player will still exist to play back DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Please review and consider. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?
                moonpie001 Level 1

Thank you for your responses, you hit them all right on the head, as far as DVD technology 100 years from now, it appears to me anyways the entire industry is turning on to solid state storage/drives and cloud servers.  We may or may not even be talking about DVDs in another 5 years depending on how fast technology and cost go down.  I guess as far as my genealogy goes, this is why I have already deposited my information with those companies who I feel will better archive the information than I ever could, on the same note I do want to keep things secure for my own personal files and for family members also.

Thank you ATR, you are always very helpful!

Rich

• 5. Re: What brand DVD+R do you recomend and what speed for PE11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich

Thanks for your follow up..

I admire your genealogy work and appreciate its significance related to collecting, organizing, and preserving your family history for current and future family.

Best wishes

ATR