9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 6:18 PM by gridstl

Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?

sideliner

Typekit is a nice idea and I'm sure I'll use it at some point, but until then it's just needlessly interrupting the opening of every Ai/ID document.

I already run FontAgent Pro to manage my fonts and having to click through the TypeKit dialog is just repeatedly wasting time.

I've already turned off TypeKit syncing in the CC prefs, but that didn't address the issue. I am hoping there is some other preference that can be set to eliminate TypeKit from the standard file opening sequence.

Anybody?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
          sideliner Level 1

Anybody at all?

I imagine I'm not the only person finding Typekit interrupting every file opening an obnoxious waste of time.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
            letigre.rob.snijders Level 1

Same problem here, it interups auto activating fonts! Autoactivating seems to work now after you tell Typekit done! But it looks very buggy...

So does anyone else have some suggestions?

• 3. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?

Even after the update in FontAgentPro 6.204 it still doen't work fine!

• 4. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
                Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee
                HiPeter,

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble with this. Some users have reported an issue in the current version of InDesign (v9.2) as well as Illustrator which can temporarily deactivate installed fonts. Please note that this is actually unrelated to Typekit; it just happens to occur at the time you see our logo in the missing fonts window.

The InDesign team is still investigating the factors which trigger this situation, but the basic issue is this: the Missing Fonts dialog causes fonts which are managed through Extensis Suitcase and FontExplorer to not auto-activate correctly, or for managed fonts to even be visible in the application after upgrade.

In both cases, the InDesign Missing Fonts dialog appears to override the Font Management tool dialogs that allow users to manage fonts within the Application.

If you use Suitcase Fusion, there is a simple configuration change needed:

1. close the Missing Fonts window

3. go to the Type menu and select "Suitcase Fusion 5".

3. From the submenu, choose "Library" and then check "All Libraries" so all fonts can be auto-activated as needed

4. from the Type menu, select "Suitcase Fusion 5" again, and then "Check Document’s Fonts" to activate the missing fonts,

If the font is being managed by Suitcase, it will find and update the fonts.

In FontExplorer, if your managed fonts are not visible in InDesign after upgrading to InDesign 9.2

Go to FontExplorer/Tools and select

1. Clean System Font Caches (this will require a system reboot)

2. Clean Application Font Caches

On non-Mavericks systems, you will need to de-activate and then reactivate font protection.  Launch a terminal window and enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -off

Then enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -on

Relaunch InDesign. your managed fonts should now be visible and auto-activation should work.

The fonts can always be activated from within the Font Management software itself, even with the missing fonts dialog open.

The InDesign team is looking into the issue to determine the root cause as well; our apologies for any inconvenience it causes in the meantime.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 5. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
                  sideliner Level 1

Hi Ben, thanks for the info regarding this being an Indesign/Illustrator problem rather than Typekit per se. I'll post in the Indesign and Illustrator areas about the persisting problem soon as I get time.

Also thanks for the time in posting the workarounds. Tried them but for whatever reason the problem is still persisting - auto activation works sometimes after ignoring and clicking through the Typekit branded warnings, and not other times. I'm now using FontExplorer after hoping the problem might be fixed by moving away from FontAgent but alas it does look like the problem is an Adobe issue, not a third party font management software issue.

I hope somebody is indeed working on this, as right now it's a repeated timewaster every single working day. I upgraded to CC2014 from CS5 and to be honest, so far it's only cost time in troubleshooting font issues rather than speed up my workflow (reduced to adding some fonts to the System folder in order to get Illustrator to recognise them). I'm not far from parking the new MBP Retina with CC2014 in a cupboard and going back to my old MBP with CS5 just in order to meet deadlines instead of fooling around with font issues while clients are waiting.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?

Hi there,

After I upgraded to the latest FontAgentPro and have the programm active as hidden, i still get the message from typekit. But after closing this massage the fonts are activated!

Not ideal but for now it works...

• 7. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
                      Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Peter,

Apologies for the continued disruptions to your work. I'll certainly share this feedback with the team and posting your issues on the InDesign/Illustrator forums should help as well.

If you have any other issues or feedback, you can always get us directly here: support@typekit.com

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 8. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
                        sideliner Level 1

Thanks Ben, if I manage to separate/sort out the activation issues independently of the typekit opening screen when I get some downtime issue I'll post here - so as not to confuse the two, if they turn out to be separate. I upgraded MBP/OSX & Adobe apps & font manager at the same time which makes it a nebulous situation to quickly work out what actually is causing font activation problems. Right now I can't really be 100% sure whether the font activation issues are related to CC2014 or the Apple OS.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to stop Typekit interrupting files opening?
                          gridstl Level 1

I am having the same issue, and I have deadlines I'm missing today!! Fontkit will not let me access fonts I have turned on in my font management software, Suitcase Fusion 5. I am furious with Adobe for sticking me with this buggy add on. Help me please, I'm a day behind after trying all the fixes I've read and nothing works!!!!