3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 10:56 AM by jmuramatsu

Can't Reorder photos past page boundary on Mac Lightroom

jmuramatsu

I recently switched from a PC to a MAC and am now having problems reordering photos in LR 5.6 on OSX Mavericks.  When I try to reorder a photo by dragging it (folder view) to a new location, I cannot scroll past the visible 'page'.  On my PC, I simply just drag the photo to the top or bottom of the page boundary and the screen scrolls to allow me to find the new destination for my image.  There are a few workarounds but none is ideal (dropping thumbnail size to minimum or doing a multi-step move).  Any help in figuring this out would be awesome. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't Reorder photos past page boundary on Mac Lightroom
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

I can do this on my mac 10.9.4.

The landing area for scrolling while selected at the top and bottom of the grid is very small (about half the height of the arrow cursor)

• 2. Re: Can't Reorder photos past page boundary on Mac Lightroom
            jmuramatsu Level 1

Hi Rikk, thanks for the help.  Yes, after playing with it quite a bit I noticed that it  is possible.  However, as you mentioned the landing area is quite small and in my experience that makes this operation mostly unusable.  It's odd that on the Windows version this is pretty easy to execute. Are you able to do this reliably and with decent scroll speed?  Whenever I try I can only get a fairly slow scroll. Moving up more often terminates the scroll.

I've found a few workarounds that work better for me -- the main one being starting the drag and then using the scroll wheel on the mouse to find the new location for the photos.  However, It'd be great if I could use the more natural mouse gesture scroll.

• 3. Re: Can't Reorder photos past page boundary on Mac Lightroom
              jmuramatsu Level 1

After playing just a bit more, I noticed two things that have helped quite a bit.  The landing area for the scroll is actually farther from the grid edge than I had expected (more than half the dragged thumbnail height) and as you said, is rather small.  Also, this works much better in the upwards direction when the module picker is not visible.  With it visible, it seems to greatly reduce the landing area in the up direction.