1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 19, 2007 12:07 PM by MotionMaker

Loading content in advance to save time

maguskrool Level 1
      Hi, I'm working on a website that will require loading some movies and a decent amount of .jpgs. I've compressed everything as much as I possibly could, but I believe I have read somewhere about loading this sort of content before the user actually takes the action(s) that would load this content. That way, when the time comes for the movies and pictures to display, they'll load much more quickly.

Is there any sort of tutorial or general advice you could give me about this? I'm not sure when to begin the loading process nor what it implies, like, where do I load that content in the first place.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Loading content in advance to save time
          MotionMaker Level 1
          This answer on a technical level is you are looking for preloaders that can queue multiple external assets.

A preloader tracks the progress of the bytes received and in your case on multiple assets. You will find XML, MovieClipLoader (for jpegs, png, gif and swf), Sound and Video all have methods for tracking bytes received and bytes expected.

A preloader can include a visual display such as a progress bar to the user while the content is received.

There is a preloader component in the Flash 8 Pro that has the barber poll effect you might look at. But while researching preloaders keep in mind your need is for queuing multiple assets into the preloader process and measurement.

You can preload all the content or preload the content as needed. In other words show the progress all at the beginning before the user interacts or after the user interacts.

If the content can be received quickly, then preloading is a waste of time. If their are times the content may delay enough to frustrate a user, then a preloader could start.

Preloading a lot of content that potentially will not be viewed by the user is a waste of resources such as server bandwidth.

A lot of the answer to the question will depend on content design. That is how the user consumes the assets.

If the user is rapidly viewing dozens of jpegs such as in scrolling window, then preloading the batch ahead is a good plan.

In general content only needs to arrive in a time when the user expects it not too far in advance of that.

In general jpegs load up fairly quickly and other assets like sound and video can be played progressively as received.