20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 3:24 PM by UgashikBob

PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen

UgashikBob

When I start PE 12.1 I select Video Editor/Existing Project and a recent project.  Main window of PE 12.1 opens showing add media option but nothing loads unless I select File/Recent Project then the same project I selected in opening panel will load.

• 1. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

UgashikBob

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12.1 running on? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit if I have to refer to specific details.

Please compare the following and let us know which is currently working....

Welcome Screen

Video Editor

Existing Project which has names of existing projects plus a yellow folder named Open.

a. If you click the name of an existing project

or

b. if you click the Open yellow folder, are taken to the Open Project dialog, and select your existing project.prel file there

or

Welcome Screen

Video Editor

New Project

When you are in the Expert workspace

File Menu/Open Project to reveal the Open Project dialog

In the Open Project dialog, can you select your existing project.prel file there and have it open for you?

You do not have to open to the Welcome Screen. We can discuss route to open projects without going through the Welcome Screen.

Please determine what happens to the issue related to deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs files exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
            UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

Win 8.1/64.   I may have jumped the gun by deleting the prefs file first but after doing that  all 3 of your suggested attempts resulted in PE opening and nothing  but the add media option showing.   Under Roaming/Adobe I have a Premiere Elements folder and a Premiere Elements 12.0 folder and I deleted the 12.0 file under both.  Now there is only the yellow folder option under open existing project and when I select it from the option screen and I see nothing but the add media option when PE12.1 opens. Also I am now hanging when I attempt to shutdown PE 12.1 and must use the task manager to terminate.

Thank you for your suggestions

• 3. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

UgashikBob

All may not be lost. If possible, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing with the "PE opening and nothing but the add media option showing".

But, I think I know what happened there. The Quick workspace is the default workspace in Premiere Elements 12. So, when you reset the preferences (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file), you set the open to open to the Quick not Expert workspace. Please click on Expert at the top of the Quick workspace and all should be as you want (if I guessed right on what happened).

You appear to have been a bit over zealous in your deletion, and I would have preferred you delete as written or ask me if you needed clarification. But what is done is done. So, moving forward, let us see if we got away with the extra deletion in this case.

Delete.JPG

Do not go near

Local Disc (C:) Users\Owner|AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements 12. The Adobe Folder contains the

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder

and

Adobe Premiere Elements Folder

You want the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder and the 12.0 Folder in that.

Please review and consider and then let us know if all is now OK or not.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                UgashikBob Level 1

PE12.1Open.JPGATR:

My apologies for not following the script but the prefs deletion looked so promising. The image above was from the following sequence:

1. Select Video editor from first selection screen

2. Select Existing Project

3 Select my only existing project or the yellow open icon and both selections result in above screen.

My hardware is i7 3770k 16gb memory Nvida GTX670 video card. Is there an option to bypass the first option screen altogether and go directly to the video editor?

Bob

• 5. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

UgashikBob

Thanks for the screenshot.

You can go directly to the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace directly (bypassing the Welcome Screen) two ways.

1. Open to the Welcome Screen and set for Video Editor

Welcome.jpg

2. Go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\ and look for the file name specifically

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, not Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe. Then right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, select Send To;, followed by Desktop (Create Shortcut). Then use this shortcut to open Premiere Elements 12 instead of the icon that you presently have on the computer desktop.

3. Please let me know what the current status is for your opening successfully saved closed projects.

Thanks. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                    UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

Reconfig'd desktop icon per your instructions. Also eliminated options panel and PE 12.1 editor loads from desktop icon. Now I can not even load my saved project from the file drop down menu. Think its time for another re install of PE12.  Just prior to the last PE12 install I did a complete clean install of Win 8.1/64 and installed both AE12 and PE12 and have had a multitude of problems with both. I live in a very rural area of Alaska and we are bandwidth constrained on a slow Satellite internet connection. I purchased the boxed edition of AE12 and PE12 thinking it woiuld save bandwidth but have found many items I had to download. Is there any way to acquire the complete components of AE12 and PE12 without using bandwidth.

Thanks again for the excellent assistance.

• 7. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

UgashikBob

Thanks for the update. Sorry the new was not better. But do not give up.

As far as I have ever seen or read, you need an Internet connect for program activation as well as for a few program features that require supposedly one time activation.

Are you having problems opening new projects or is the issue saving and reopening of projects that you could get into the program to create? If all of this is related to saving, please double check your save location choices as well as the locations to which you have directed your Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

But, the uninstall/reinstall might be worthwhile at this time.

1. If you can get into a new project, go to Help Menu/Sign Out. That will deactivate the program on your computer. Close out of there.

2. Go to the Control Panel/Programs, and uninstall Premiere Elements 12 the usual way there.

3. Then do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

4. Then reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

See how that goes.

Make sure you are running the program as Administrator and have QuickTime (latest version) installed. Update from 12 to 12.1 after the 12 installation.

The deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (and, if necessary, the 12.0 Folder in which it exists usually takes care of those issues

that defy the answers for why. But, I am not sure if you might have over deleted along the way in doing that.

We will be watching for your progress. We are keeping a positive thought for your success.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                        UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

Thanks to your guidance things seem to be better. For the benefit of others here is what I did:

1. Uninstalled PE12.1

2. Installed CCleaner and ran the regular clean plus the registry option using backup to clean up what were no doubt remnants of several installs..

3. Reinstalled PE12 with firewall and AV disabled

4  Downloaded 12.1 update (many attempts with high failure rate and only succeeded by constant retry)

5  Updated Nvidia GEForce GTX 670 driver to 335.23

6  Configured startup option screen to go directly to video editor.

7 Updated Quick Time Player to 7.6

I now open existing projects from file drop down and that is fine with me. Could use some guidance on a couple issues:

1. Using a Mobius action cam shooting footage from a drone and settings are 1920x1080P @ 30fps and the best preset appears to be DLSR 30fps. Any suggestions appreciated .

2. Am using outdoor-adventure -hd-fr- title selection which needed to be downloaded (also high error rate) and can do the titles ok but trying to imbed image into window area with multiple sizing boxes that are very confusing. Any link to guidelines on how to use the image sizing on this downloaded title selection?  Are these title options available in any manner other than download?

3 Just a comment but the entire cloud concept including the additional download requirements for features like I described above is very painful for someone like myself in a bandwidth constrained environment.

Again thanks for the excellent assistance. 

• 9. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

UgashikBob

You wrote

1. Using a Mobius action cam shooting footage from a drone and settings are 1920x1080P @ 30fps and the best preset appears to be DLSR 30fps. Any suggestions appreciated .

From what I have read of your camera, it is recording 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second. So, your project preset is most appropriate, that is,

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

But what is a drone?

What do your exports look like? What choices have you made? We can look at default export settings versus customized one if necessary.

You wrote

2. Am using outdoor-adventure -hd-fr- title selection which needed to be downloaded (also high error rate) and can do the titles ok but trying to imbed image into window area with multiple sizing boxes that are very confusing. Any link to guidelines on how to use the image sizing on this downloaded title selection?  Are these title options available in any manner other than download?

I am aware  that there is a "glitch" in the Outdoor Adventures" Instant Movie,

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Instant Movie Theme "Outdoor Adventure" Glitch

but I had not heard of problems with the same named Title Template. Which one of the choices are you trying to customize:

credits

frame

lower3rd

title

What are you trying to do in the way of imbed image into window area....

a. have you the title template on an upper video track and your images to be seen in the title on individual tracks below

or

b.are you imbedding images into the title file with the Titler opened, using Text Menu/Image/Add Image?

Depending on what you are doing there are various "select", "arrange", "Selection Tool", and other maneuvers that might be used.

As for Content download, a slow process for all at times. Please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: No Content Disc - Content Downloads from Adobe

Thanks for the update. We are very pleased with your progress. Great job.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                            UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

My drone is a small six engine remotely controlled hexacopter with two cameras on board that I use for airborne wildlife photography.  My exports look ok I was concerned that I had made the best project selection as it appears to be a major pre-req for a good edit. Will pursue the Outdoor adventure glitch.  I am trying to customize the title template and the text feature is ok but having issues on sizing an imbedded image within the window. Will investigate your link on contents download.

Now for the major bummer.  After editing/saving just one other project it appears I am back to same problem  Now when I directly load PE12.1 and go to the file drop down and specifically select a just recently edited project it will not load just results in the same screen you receive at init in expert mode( see previously posted screen shot) .  Even went directly to the 12.0 folder where the project lives and it wouldn’t load from there. After attempting to load any project it will hang and can not terminate except with task manager.

Besides all the suggestions I followed in previous note I also followed the checklist on hangs.  I have installed all available Win 8.1 fixes, video drivers and am investigating sound drivers. Considering deleting all projects from the 12.0 folder and starting over.  I tried moving all the file locations in preferences from my  ssd (134 of 256GB available) to another internal HD with the same results.  Adobe Elements 12.0 still works ok.

Bob

• 11. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

My link on Content download is not immediately relevant to your situation. My intent in mentioning the subject was to suggest a way to save (Online Folder to USB Flash Drive) what took so long to download. This way, if you had to uninstall the program, you might have a quick way to reinstall that Content download.

As far as I know the Outdoor Adventure Instant Movie glitch should not be presenting in the title template with the same name. But, a glitch in one version of the theme usually casts an element of doubt on others.

Very discouraging about the loading of the saved/closed projects. How large are these projects at the stage where you are trying to reopen the saved closed ones? What happens if you open a new project, add maybe 3 jpg files, save close the project, and then try to reopen that project in a variety of ways. Same issue as the "real" projects?

More later.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                UgashikBob Level 1

APE12.1LoadFailure.JPG

ATR:

At this point I can not load previously created projects or create new to implement you suggestion of doing additions.  Just tried Adobe Chat and it was a total waste of time.

Bob

• 13. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Matters were sounding so promising. Let us see what we can do.

1. In looking at your screenshot, my first question is "What are you doing with AutoSaves?" Have you gone to them as a last resort because you cannot open the original project file?

2. When did the new project problem set in?

a. Can you open the program to the Expert workspace and there select File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings?

b. If you can, Change Settings for NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97

c. As you close out of that area, you will run into the new project dialog with your new project preset. Make sure you have a check mark next

to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project". Note where the new project dialog Save In: is directed, and close out of there.

d. Back in the Expert workspace, first go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave and turn off the AutoSaves.

e. Use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to get some jpg photos onto the Timeline.

f. Go to File Menu/Save A Copy and save a copy of the project to the desktop. Give this copy a new name.

g. Save close the project file that you are in.

If all or some of the above is not doable, please describe why it is not - error messages and such.

We will find the answers.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                    UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

The answer to the first question is I don't know. Must of been a default option of the install run from a timer pop. New problem occurred after editing a project closing it ok and a reboot of the system.Was unable to open New project dialog in expert workspace but was able to turn off autosave. Only way I was able to load an existing project or create a new one was by loading the organizer work space through Photoshop Elements 12.1 since it would not load from Premiere Elements 12.1.  Then load the existing project from the organizer which loaded Prem;iere Elements12.1 and the project. Also was able to load a new project via organizer and then changed settings to your recommendation with the force box checked. Added a jpeg file to the same video I was using before then did a couple cuts added and few transitions and saved it to the desktop. Was able to click on the desktop icon and load it via PE12.1 and it functioned correctly when I viewed it. Was able to exit the project but received the blue circle hang when attempting to exit PE12.1  Canceled with task manager.  Reloaded via desktop icon and rendered project timeline.  Rendering went very quickly till about frame 8000 of 10496 then it slowed to crawl but completed in about 6 minutes.  Saved another copy of rendered version to desktop under different name and it to would load from icon but not directly from PE and run correctly but PE did blue circle hang when attempting shutdown. Stranger than science

Bob 

• 15. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Please remind me...

Have we recently checked for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video?

If not, I will plot a course for doing that.

If you open to Premiere Elements 12 one way or another, can you access the Elements Organizer 12 by clicking on the Organizer Tab at the bottom left of the Expert workspace?

ATR

Add On...I need to do a re-read of your whole thread.

• 16. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                        UgashikBob Level 1

882014APE12.1hangs.JPG

ATR:

Last night while attempting to acquire further documentation on this problem/problems everything magically started working including loading projects stored on the desktop and 12.0 folders, starting the organizer from the init screen and no blue circle on shutdown. Life was briefly good. This morning after a fresh reboot all of the problems are back and the only way I can load projects is by invoking the organizer thru Adobe Elements 12.1 then selecting the project from the file dropdown which invokes PE12.1 and the project is ok but still get the blue circle of death when attempting to shutdown. Attachment above shows the Win8.1 event logs from the hangs which seems to be the only audit trail I can find from all this weirdness since there are no error messages just hangs.

With google I was able to find PE10 problems with load failures that were resolved by an Adobe technician doing undocumented magic via remote access. Is there any way I can access that level of support as several attempts at chat were non-events?

You also asked to be reminded to check preview files, conformed audio and conformed video. During the failures I could not access organizer via the tab at the bottom of the expert workspace.

Could you pass on to your webmaster that the login to this portal is the slowest of anything I use on the web and I just lost the first attempt at submitting this update. No doubt network errors but they are not being handled well. Very similar to the download failures.

Bob 

• 17. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

While your Premiere Elements 12 is still the current version you should be eligible for Adobe Chat support where it could give you the possibility for remote control of your computer for troubleshooting. We cannot do that in a user to user forum. The major hang up with this idea is trying to find an active Adobe Chat link. It has been undergoing updating for a while now making it difficult to make the contact. Instead you end up with Ask the Community which is user to user.

I just checked the Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up Adobe Chat link, and it is still down, but the one for Activation and Signing in is active. Let us see if we can get through to the Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up Adobe Chat through the Activation and Signing In representative. If interested in this idea, please click on the following link

Contact Customer Care

Pre-set for

Premiere Elements

Downloading and Setting Up

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold the set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the topics as guidelines.

I have no insider contact with the web people. Best post a thread in the Adobe Forum Comments Forum on the problems with the web site. Been there, done that, good forum.

Forum comments

Still trying to figure out where to go with your Premiere Elements issue. Just when we think we caught onto the solution it seems to evaporate.

You wrote

Last night while attempting to acquire further documentation on this problem/problems everything magically started working including loading projects stored on the desktop and 12.0 folders, starting the organizer from the init screen and no blue circle on shutdown. Life was briefly good.

Reflecting back, any special actions under "acquire further documentation on this problem/problems" that might have targeted the cause of these problems and triggered everything working? Are you changing source media?

Back to reading your thread some more.

ATR.

• 18. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                            UgashikBob Level 1

ATR:

Thank you for detailing the access to the chat facility. With all due respect to your efforts I must say the entire Adobe Support Structure must be an attempt at humor because other than end users who hav to purchase software with real money to contribute I have not seen anything that works. I just made three attempts at chat by entering long detailed descriptions of my problem/problems and finally someone said they were experiencing problems with the entire system and it would not be available till the 12th. I had tried previously 3 or 4 times and EVERY chat session was a complete waste of time. Either the connection was interrupted or the person on the other end was attempting every avenue to avoid dealing with the problem I had spent considerable time detailing. I used to receive excellent support onLightroom and Photoshop but this Premier Elements is a total goat rope that has me considering other options.

Regarding my present problems I really see the need for some form of internal trace mechanism in Premiere Elements to show what is happening when projects fail to load. When I watch the failure in task manager PE12.1 shows active then I see the application hang event failure and nothing else. An internal trace facility is only available from the non existent support structure and I see no other way to fix this other than some form of internal trace in Win8.1 showing PE12.1 activity. Like I mentioned before I found this same problem on PE10 and a Adobe Techinician connected to the machine and did undocumented repair to resolve it but apparently that level of support doesn't exist.

Still willing to purse preview files and conformed audio/video. 

Bob

• 19. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

General

Last night while attempting to acquire further documentation on this problem/problems everything magically started working including loading projects stored on the desktop and 12.0 folders, starting the organizer from the init screen and no blue circle on shutdown. Life was briefly good. This morning after a fresh reboot all of the problems are back

This sort of report is especially disturbing to both of us. I am disappointed that Adobe Chat or one of its associated departments could not take remote control of your Premiere Elements 12.1 and computer to evaluate all the issues as well as the contributions of nature of the projects and source media to these issues.

File Pile Ups

Let us look at the look at possible pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files.

Preview Files.

Assuming default location...

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and in the 12.0 Folder are the preview files generated from Timeline rendering.

(Also see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Video Previews, location directed to and available hard drive space at that location.)

Conformed Audio Files

If not at following location, check for location in preferences....

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and in the 12.0 Folder are conformed audio (cfa and pek sets).

(See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Media Cache, location directed to and available hard drive space at that location)

Conformed Video Files

Assumed default location

Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Common

(See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database are for the Clean button)

What do you find at those locations?

New Installation Files

In the likelihood that you have "bad files", you could obtain tryout files from the following web site, use them as tryout, and/or insert your

purchased serial number in it to make it your working copy. Have we been down that road before?

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

The key to success here is for you to read and carry out to the word the "Note: Very Important Instructions" so that you do not get hit with

an Access Denied Message.

User Account Issues

Have you tried to create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and ran Premiere Elements 12 from it?

I will be back with a check list later.

However, the following encourages me in suspecting that the problem is not in Premiere Elements, but within your computer resources and optimization.

Like I mentioned before I found this same problem on PE10 and a Adobe Technician connected to the machine and did undocumented repair to resolve it but apparently that level of support doesn't exist.

But, as for that type of support existing today, did a current Adobe Chat representative specifically tell you that?

Hope the above targets the issues. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: PE 12.1 Will not load previously used project from start screen
                                                UgashikBob Level 1

ATR

The preview and previewII show both the 12.0 location and the H: location I moved them to via preferences to see if there was any problem with my SSD(C:) drive which currently shows 148 of 256GB available. The H: drive is a fast internal drive that currently shows 2.77 of 4tb available.

Will investigate the downloading of new files but because of my bandwidth constraints and Adobe’s prior server performance on updates I am very skeptical about spending all night babysitting it. I did install  on a less powerful laptop PE12 using the same diskettes and see the same problem only am able to terminate PE 12 after the load failure without the blue circle. It just sets there and does nothing when I attempt to load saved projects. This laptop is also Win8/64 with all current fixes.

If I create a new user account with admin privileges does Win 8 then load and tailor a separate copy for just that user? If so that looks like a good diagnostic technique.

An Adobe rep(I checked the send copy to my email but haven't received it) specifically told me that they were having issues with the online service and it was currently unavailable and they were trying to get it up by 8/12. On previous Chat attempts I was repeat ably asked for details of my problem which I had spent a great deal of time to detail and then would be disconnected. I spent 31 years in the hardware/software service business and I would rate the chat service I have received as a zero. Really wish I could say something positive about it but so far I have spent an incredible amount of time on this and paid dearly for the privilege. Understand I am directing all my negative comments at Abode in hopes they see it and possibly respond in a positive fashion.

Bob

Sent from Windows Mail