5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 3:28 PM by D Fosse

Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings

photoyogi Level 1

working with  PDI target calibration photos to check on my calibrated monitor.

I always keep  warnings for mismatch profile checked  in color settings in PS. But  target jpegs are being overridden  and the embedded " WhackedRGB ", and srgb , show up as Adobe RGB .

I tired getting out of Photoshop and restarted computer …. no help.

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Show up as Adobe RGB where, exactly? That sounds almost as if you changed the color management policies from "preserve embedded profiles" to something else. Preserve embedded is the only sensible setting - any other setting is a godawful mess just waiting to happen.

Anyway. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but if this is some sort of troubleshooting you need to keep track of two profiles: the embedded document profile, and the system-level display profile. Both need to be present and correct for the color management chain to operate correctly. One is converted into the other.

For the document profile, click the little arrow at the bottom left of the image window, and set it to show document profile. With that, you have instant confirmation for every file and you don't really need to have the mismatch warning on:

Doc_profile.png

For the display profile, open Photoshop's color settings and see what's listed under Working RGB > Monitor RGB. Don't click on it! (you absolutely don't want that as your working RGB) - just check what it says and cancel out. This is the display profile Photoshop gets from the operating system. Note that this only tells you the profile for the primary display. For a secondary display it gets more tricky and offhand I don't know if moving the whole application over would report the profile for that display (I only use a single display).

Disp_profile_2.png

On Windows you can also check display profiles under Control Panel > Color Management > Devices. Each system default profile will be listed here.

• 2. Re: Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings
            photoyogi Level 1

Twenty one

my color management settings were and are correct. For some odd reason Camera raw was jumping in and changing the profile "behind the scene " when working with targets from WWW.gballard.net/photoshop/pdi_download.

He has great free instructions and downloads and I was using these target images and directions . I was concerned re professional monitor and callibration unit/ profile.

I am be now means a techy and always  want to learn more how to be spot on with my images. I am trying to tighten up what I can expect with soft proofs using varied profiles from different labs using varied  materials and machines  because I am working adding fine art images online and wanted  each order to have to be self fullfilled. . That is how I went down this rabbit hole.  ODDLY when ever I tried to  open the target "whacked RGB" from gballard my camera raw kept jumping in and changing the WHACKEDRGB file and reading it as Adobergb ( I could see the conflict with the document file info) . The only way I was able to resolve this was (did not document this sorry and not exactly  sure how) disabling Camera raw from opening jpeg! Then next time I attempted to open the WHACKEDjpg it came up with correct profile ! Oddly I had  not been seeing camera raw  trying to open my other jpegs which are : Iphone images or images ready for print. ( my camera workflow is raw>adobe rgb ( gave up on profoto)  work in LR > PS (possibly with  nik or On one ) >  jpeg or tiff for lab or client for reproduction.

• 3. Re: Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings

Ah, OK, that explains it. This is in fact normal if the file is opened through ACR. It honors the embedded profile, but outputs to Photoshop in the color space you have specified in the ACR workflow settings.

You have three options for ACR handling of jpeg and tiff files: Disable, Open With Settings, and Open All. The second option is the default. It will open any jpeg/tiff that has ACR metadata, but not others. In other words - if you once use the third option on a jpeg to open it in ACR, it will continue to open in ACR thereafter.

• 4. Re: Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings
                photoyogi Level 1

What made no sense was I was not trying to open file in Camera Raw  . The target file is  a jpeg that I was just attempting to open in PS  not Camera Raw( which popped up and  took over ) so still do not know why that happened.... of if it will happen again behind my back . the only reason I knew it happened here was the target file photos literally had the profile written on the photo!

So now I have option for ACR handling of jpeg and tiff files set at  Disable .

re your comment "if you once use the third option on a jpeg to open it in ACR, it will continue to open in ACR thereafter." not sure what you mean .

What is ideal for my workflow is to be able to  open image in ACR and work in ps using the embedded profile. When I am done I can convert it ( or a copy of it )  to what I need when I need to Which setting is designed for using the  embedded setting in ACR>PS?

• 5. Re: Monitor calibration-Profile mismatch warning NOT showing up , yet set in settings

What you describe is exactly what these settings do, it's all as designed. Yes, it's a bit confusing at first. The purpose is to allow parametric (non-destructive) editing on tiffs and jpegs without altering the original, just like with a raw file.

If you don't want ACR to open these files, you need to set jpeg / tiff handling to "disable".

If you do open them through ACR, they will always open into Photoshop in the color space you have specified in the ACR workflow settings. They will not open with the embedded profile (unless they happen to be the same). The ACR workflow settings is the blue link at the bottom of the main ACR window. This is where you set color space, bit depth, resolution and so on.