5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2007 11:48 AM by Kathleen13

Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file Exactly

dandeliongraphics
      Ok, so I was down to start using Fireworks to do my image optimization, in fact I was somewhat excited. I heard that Fireworks CS3 was supposed to load in PSD's seamlessly, support the layer styles, and all that good stuff.

Well mine doesn't. It does not support clipping layer masks at all. The opacity and look of my layer styles do not match from how they look in Photoshop.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Am I going to have to completely change my workflow? Or am I going to have to stick with using ImageReady CS2?

Any help is appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file Exactly
          Level 1
          What kind of file format did you work with in Fw CS3 or Ps CS3 as in .PSD, .PNG, or what?

Please tell me the exact file formats, because it is what it is possible factor.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file Exactly
            dandeliongraphics Level 1
            I work in Photoshop, and then save as PSD. I am bringing it into Fireworks as a PSD.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file Exactly
              JasonRB
              I have the same problem, very disappointing. There is a support page on Adobe's site that says as far as vector masks - save your Photoshop file as a PSD, then open that PSD into Illustrator and save it as an Illustrator file. Then go to Fireworks and open that Illustrator file. Sounds like a shabby work-around, but it's also only to fix vector masks.

In my situation, I have regular bitmap masks on Layer Folders in Photoshop, and Fireworks CS3 is not recognizing them. Poo poo for Fireworks =(
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file   Exactly
                Level 7
                JasonRB wrote:

> In my situation, I have regular bitmap masks on Layer Folders in Photoshop,
                > and Fireworks CS3 is not recognizing them. Poo poo for Fireworks =(

Why not do the vector masks in Fireworks instead?

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: Fireworks CS3 Not Displaying Photoshop CS3 file Exactly
                  Kathleen13
                  I have to say that Adobe has done a lot better in CS3 regarding Fireworks compatibility. Adobe used to be downright hostile to Fireworks users, and now that's not the case, but they have a LONG way to go before they can claim seemless integration.

There is still a problem with layer blending in Photoshop translating to Fireworks. When it comes in, it doesn't always match. The color spaces don't match, either.

Masking is another issue, but I never do my masking in anything but Fireworks, anymore (for web graphics), because Fireworks has so many approaches to masking. In Fireworks, you can draw vector masks (same as creating a path in Photoshop), place an object inside of a vector (which includes a vector with a gradient, to create a gradient mask), group layers together as masks, or paint a bitmap mask on a layer (same as photoshop).

Fireworks is not the same thing as Photoshop. It's become the best of many web production tools, in my opinion, a best of app combining Photoshop, Illustrator and Freehand. To become a power user and truly understand what the diehards are so excited about, you really need to learn it from the ground up. If you try to translate what you know from any other program to Fireworks, that will reduce the real power of the program. You'll need to rethink how you do pretty much everything, but it really is worth it.