7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 7:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements

the-outdoorsman

Hello everyone. This is my first post on here. I am new to elements so I hope you can bare with me. I was watching my videos from Yellowstone on my tv through my video camera (Sony HDR-CX430V) and they look very good. I wanted to upload some of my videos to youtube so I copied the entire contents of my sd card to my pc. Then I used the add media to import the video to elements 12. When I play the video back in full screen it looks very grainy, not anywhere near the quality I was watching on my tv. I am not sure what could be wrong. I am running windows 8.1 64-bit and 8 gigs of memory. AMD Phenom II x4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz. Video card is a Radeon HD 3200. My monitor is a LG 27" widescreen set to 1920x1080. Could it be my video card that is not able to play back AVCHD videos correctly?

• 1. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

the-iytdiirsnan

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using a project's Help Menu/Update? If not. please do so.

And, please clarify - did any of your imports ever get to export or is your question all about the previewing of your import in the Edit area monitor of the project?

What are the properties of what you are putting on the Expert workspace Timeline...

video compression

audio compression (stereo or 5.1 channel)

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

pixel aspect ratio

file extension

duration

From what I have read of your camera, you could be recording 1920 x 1080p24 or 1920 x 1080p60 as "AVCHD" or "Mp4" format. Is the AVCHD.mts and the other AVCHD.mp4 or other? Once we know the properties of your source media, then

What are you or the project setting for the project preset so that the properties of the source video match the description of the project preset? Please see

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readouts for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio - even if the fields look grayed out.

When you have your video file on the Timeline for the first time (before editing), do you see an orange line or no colored line over that Timeline content? If an orange line, do you make any attempt to render the Timeline content by pressing the Render button to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
            the-outdoorsman Level 1

Thanks for replying. I did export the video to see what it looked like and it looked just as bad as watching it in elements. I exported one to AVI and one to MPEG2.

Video Properties

video compression MPEG (I think this is what you want to no)

Source audio format 48000Hz compressed 6 channels

Project Audio Format 48000Hz 32 bit floating point 6 channels

frame size 1920x1080

frame rate 29.97

interlaced 60i

pixel aspect ratio 1.0

file extension MTS

duration 10 minutes

Project settings

Editing mode HD 1080i

Timebase 29.97

Frame size 1920 x 1080

Aspect Ratio 1.0

There is a orange line on it and I did render it and the video looks the same. The orange line is still there after I did the render though.

• 3. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

outdoorsman

For clarification purposes....please confirm

OrangeLine.JPG

Are you viewing in the Edit area monitor the Timeline content playback with a green line or no colored line (Render Indicator Line) over it?

If you have AVCHD.mts (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second represented in the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

then, when you import that video source into that project, there should be no colored line over the content.

In Elements preview...

a. Rendered Timeline

b. Playback Quality, Highest instead of Automatic

(right click the monitor, and, from the pop up menu, select Playback Quality and then compare Automatic versus Highest.

Then export your Timeline content specifically to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Please let us know how that plays back on your computer player(s).

Is your Radeon HD 3200 driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
                the-outdoorsman Level 1

I don't see any Render Indicator Line. I was mistaken on the line you were talking about in your earlier post as I thought it was the line through the video clip in the time line. Here is a screen shot. I tried a different video with the same results. I all ready had the play back set to highest. I really can't see any difference between auto and highest when playing back the video. I have the latest video card drivers installed. This video card is outdated though. I exported as you said and windows media player didn't like it but VLC media player played it ok. It did seem a bit better.

pe2.JPG

• 5. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

outdoorsman

If you think it would help to do a comparison of your video playback there with what I get here, I would be glad for the opportunity if you could send a small sample of the bad in a Dropbox link posted in a reply in your thread. I have several versions of Premiere Elements and would do a comparison of results with the current version and some previous versions.

You should have gotten excellent results with the AVCHD.mp4 export and the previews should be good if not excellent.

What is the quality different between Full Screen versus non Full Screen previewing of your TImeline content (best preview possible state) within Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

• 6. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
                    the-outdoorsman Level 1

I feel so dumb, after watching several of my videos on my pc I have noticed some of them (about 12) are very grainy for some reason and the 3 videos I was working on in elements were part of the 12. I opened the videos in windows media player and they look bad. So then I started going through some of the 100 videos I took from out there and most look a lot better. My dumb luck that I picked the bad ones. Can a video like that even be fixed? I am not sure what happened as I did not change any setting on the camera. I am going to open some of the other videos in elements and see how I do with them. As far as full screen preview, if I watch the video in non full screen it looks a lot better. I will post back here after working with some of the other videos with my results. You gave me some helpful pointers and I thank you.

• 7. Re: Avchd video looks bad when I play it in elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

outdoorsman

Thanks for reply and following up on the troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

We will be watching for further developments.

There are some Premiere Elements effects that can improve certain problems in the video (lighting, shaking camera), but the outcome is not predictable - sort of on a case by case basis.

You have done a great job focusing in on the issues.

Best wishes

ATR