6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 7:28 AM by idengreen

Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?

GlynDHughes

I have been using a Mac for the last couple of years but have always used Lightroom on a PC prior to this and have now installed Lightroom 5 on my Mac

Using iPhoto/Aperture and importing to the Mac all of my photos which I am used to seeing in a folder/file hierarchy are swallowed up in a library.

Is there any way for Lightroom to use this library to access my photos without importing a completely separate, duplicate library of my own photos again in a folder/file structure so Lightroom can reference it?

I do not want to maintain two libraries of the same photos on my Mac but do wish to use Lightroom as my main program.

If I am unable to do it this way round is there a way I can reimport all of my photos onto my Mac in the usual folder/file hierarchy but then allow iPhoto/Aperture/etc. to access them in this structure without duplicating all of my pictures?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

• 1. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom never contains copies of your photos. It always references the files on your hard disk.

• 2. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
            GlynDHughes Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK thats great news.

So how easy is it to point Lightroom to use my photos that have been imported and are already part of my iPhoto library?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

• 3. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
              dj_paige Level 9

I can't answer questions about iPhoto, but I'm sure your favorite search engine can direct you to instructions about using photos from iPhoto in Lightroom, or maybe someone else who knows the answer will join this thread.

I would like to point out that I don't think its a good idea to use two different "organizing" type programs such as iPhoto and Lightroom at the same time (EXCEPTION: for a short period of time, as a learning exercise, I think it makes sense). The drawback of using two different "organizing" programs is that its twice the work, and if you make a mistake in one (or just plain forget to apply the changes to one of the programs), you now have two programs with different information, and this is dis-organization, not organization.

• 4. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
                GlynDHughes Level 1

Thanks again for the quick reply.

I don't want to use two different organising programs. In fact I don't really want to organise at all.

All I want to do is keep one copy of my photos on my Mac and then choose what program I want to use at any particular time.

On a PC this wouldn't be a problem as I used Lightroom, DxO Optics and Canons own software to access my own photos and do whatever I wanted to do with them.

On the Mac Apple insists on tying up my pictures in a library which is OK if you only want Apple software such as iPhoto, Aperture etc to access them but when I want to use any non-Apple software I can't seem to see my photos anywhere?

I've done a search and I see reference to making duplicate copies of my library but I do not want to maintain two duplicate copies of the same photos on my Mac.

I never had this problem on my PC.

In fact I'm getting so fed up with Apple holding my own files to ransom (or worse still not letting me get at them easily by hiding access to the filesystem and a myriad of other things) I'm thinking of going back to PC!

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

• 5. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

You can't "point" Lightroom to Iphotos's library photos but you can have Iphoto use "referenced" links to your photos like Lightroom does and then you do not have to have duplicates.  It reduces some functionality in Iphoto I suspect.  For me it is easier to just use Lightroom and eliminate Iphoto from the workflow.

• 6. Re: Using Lightroom on a Mac without duplicating photo library?
                    idengreen

I agree with the last post. I kept iPhoto out of it from the start.