9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 9:15 AM by idengreen

Catalog confusion

idengreen

Catalog confusion

I created a new Master catalog, then found myself backing up to my previous, old, catalog; so have two overlapping ones, and have failed to combine them. I have missing folders in each. Advice much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Catalog confusion
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't understand ... as far as I know, you cannot make a backup of your new master catalog to your previous old catalog.

I also don't understand your desired end goal.

• 2. Re: Catalog confusion
            idengreen Level 1

Apologies for being unclear.

1 I wanted to get all my Lr data, accumulated over several years, and still found in catalogs named Lr 3 etc - into one new master data (which I called VP).

2 However, on closing Lr (5), I found it was backing up into my old Lr3 files, and I was then reverting to actually importing into this old catalog.

3 So I have two catalogs, or possibly more, with incomplete data in them, though the total of each are approx 18.000 and 19,000plus images. I have made a record of what is in each, and actually it is the 2014 folders which are partially missing. I always save into dated folders and keep in chronological order.

I do hope this makes some sense.

• 3. Re: Catalog confusion
              dj_paige Level 9

2 However, on closing Lr (5), I found it was backing up into my old Lr3 files,

Does your new master Lightroom 5 catalog still contain the character string LR3 (or Lightroom 3) somewhere in the file name? If so, then it is indeed a LR5 catalog, and it cannot possibly make backups to a LR3 catalog; it can only make backups of your LR5 catalog, even if the character string LR3 or Lightroom 3 is still in the file name.

3 So I have two catalogs, or possibly more, with incomplete data in them, though the total of each are approx 18.000 and 19,000plus images. I have made a record of what is in each, and actually it is the 2014 folders which are partially missing. I always save into dated folders and keep in chronological order.

If the 2014 folders are missing from your master Lightroom 5 catalog, do you mean that they exist in some other catalog? If so, you would go to that catalog, select the desired folders, and then right-click on the folder name and select Export as Catalog. Then import into the new master catalog using the command File->Import from Another Catalog.

• 4. Re: Catalog confusion
                idengreen Level 1

Many thanks for your advice. It helped a bit - but the folders seem only to want to be reimported one at a time - and they finish up outside 'my lightroom folder' which I try to import into.

Probably a different problem, and stupidity on my part; though I have been trying to work this one out!

• 5. Re: Catalog confusion
                  dj_paige Level 9

Can we see a screen capture of the problem?

• 7. Re: Catalog confusion
                    dj_paige Level 9

You have missing folders and missing photos. To reconnect them, please read Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Once you have connected these folders, you can drag them into the "My Lightroom Folder" folder, entirely in Lightroom. Or you can move the folders to wherever you want them using your operating system, and then reconnect using the above link.

• 8. Re: Catalog confusion
                      idengreen Level 1

Screenshot 2014-08-07 16.55.36.pngScreenshot 2014-08-07 16.55.16.png

Sorry this took a while! Highlit folders are the ones I moved - but not in My Lr Folder, where I would like them

• 9. Re: Catalog confusion
                        idengreen Level 1

THanks again. Have previously found folders unwilling to drag.

But very grateful to you for all your time.