3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 7:39 AM by SJRiegel

Text is hard to read in PDFs

msinger1

I can't figure out why my indesign files are difficult to read as PDF's... I really could use a lesson on typography. I know there are vector fonts... I am using Arial. Is this the problem? It looks blurry. Could it be that my text is white, and background is dark (almost black)?

Helvetica seems to be popular, but I want to make sure I troubleshoot this properly before I go ahead and change the text of a 30+ page document Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Text is hard to read in PDFs
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds as though your text may be getting rasterized upon export to PDF. Are you using a PDF Export preset? What is the intent (print, on-screen), and what are your export settings?

• 2. Re: Text is hard to read in PDFs
            msinger1 Level 1

Hello John!

I previously wasn't using an adobe preset, however I just created a pdf file with the adobe preset "small file size". I haven't changed any of the settings, but it perhaps could be better. My project is a portfolio, so the intent is on-screen and sendable via email. I've had this printed as well, will no issues.

What is the best way to deliver the best quality with a small file size? I just would like the text to be easier on the eyes to read.

• 3. Re: Text is hard to read in PDFs
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

msinger1 wrote:

...before I go ahead and change the text of a 30+ page document ...

As a side note to this discussion, if you make it a firm practice to use Paragraph Styles and Character Styles for all of your text formatting, it would not matter if it was a 200+ page book, the formatting changes could be done in moments by adjusting the styles. (of course, you would still have to check for awkward reflow or overset).