6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 3:53 AM by station_two

What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)

Fred K. Level 1

Hi,

In ACR I adjust the image so that it looks OK for me.

But there are a little differences in ACR and PS viewing the image (color, contrast etc).

In programs like windows foto-viewer there is an other difference (relative to ACR and PS) >> images have more contrast and darker  than viewing in PS.

An other program Irfanview shows the image with less color (saturisation).

I have made a test print (in a photo centre), that image results in something between Irfanview and PS.

Question:

What is the best program or way to adjust the color / contrast etc so that I get an photo-image (on paper) that is the same as what I see on mij monitor screen.

• 1. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
          Richard Southworth Level 3

Time to learn about color management; otherwise, you will be continually frustrated trying to match colors from camera to monitor to printer.  Here's the Wikipedia version, Color management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, probably too succinct but will give you a start.

There are many other references, on the web and books, here's another:

Guide to Colour Management

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
            Fred K. Level 1

Thanks Richard for the answer.

The color management is know by me.....that is also a problem but...............

My question has 2 parts.

1) color management between several devices

2) the difference between programs on my computer that show an image with different outcome ....color / contrast etc.

My question relates to item 2

• 3. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
              Richard Southworth Level 3

Still probably a color management issue.

PS is color managed, will honor an embedded profile (or tag) in an image and will "bend" the colors according to the image color space and its monitor assumption.  Check the color settings to see if/what PS is assuming with regard to monitor color space and image profiles.  Other programs are not color managed, and will send the RGB values directly to the monitor.

You may not see a difference if the image has an sRGB profile (or no profile), but say an image comes in with Adobe 1998 as its color space.  Photoshop will honor but other programs won't, so you'll see a definite difference in saturations.  Since Adobe 1998 is a larger color space, it uses smaller differences between R,G,B for a given color saturation than would exist in sRGB, therefore when viewed in a non-color managed application the image will appear less saturated than in PS.  And there are other "traps" that can cause the reverse effect.

You have to have a minimum understanding of color management to be able to reconcile varying image appearance among various applications.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
                Level 5

It has been my experience, after more than a decade on the Photoshop forums (they were blissfully split by platform until recently), that any question that begins with "What is the best way to…?" comes from a user with little or no experience with Photoshop and/or color management.

I say this because of your assertion

The color management is know by me…

The truth is that you have absolutely no clue as to Color Management, otherwise you wouldn't even have asked your question in the first place, much less your response in post #2.

Please be more accepting and humble, and listen to the helpful replies you have gotten already.

Color Management is difficult to understand at first, and some folks just never "get it".  It requires a lot of study.  There are excellent volumes on Color Management by Bruce Fraser, Andrew Rodney and others.  Look for them at amazon.com.

• 5. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
                  Fred K. Level 1

THANKS! STATION_TWO for the "over-correct-answer" you give................

If I'm honest, the answer of Richard was for me enough to realize where I made a "wrong inference" in understanding color management.

He is for me the best teacher in this case, I've learned something from him because he's talking on my level.

By the way: the english language is not my native language... so my questions should have to be read with understanding of grammatical expressions from other languages >> ("The color management is know by me…").

Again: Richard, in this case, read my question properly and has helped me on my way.

• 6. Re: What is the best program or way to check an image on monitor screen (contrast/color etc)
                    Level 5

Fred K. wrote:

THANKS! STATION_TWO for the "over-correct-answer" you give................

the english language is not my native language…

Neither is it mine (3rd of 8). 

Fred K. wrote:

Richard, in this case, read my question properly and has helped me on my way

I read it correctly too, Fred K.  There was no need to address it because it had already been answered by Richard in post #1.

I was not in any way referencing your command of English.  I just copy and pasted a segment of what you wrote to indicate what I was replying too.