4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 10:54 AM by Ellis home

How to adjust inner margins in Indesign book

nicksnels

Hi,

I have two Indesign files that I want to merge in an Indesign book. But I can not get the inner margins right. Each Indesign file has 3 pages (pages are facing pages), all margins are 0.5 inches except for the inner margin which is set at 0.75 inches. Now when I merge the two files in an Indesign book and create a book. I get an inner margin on page 3 at the right of the page of 0.75 inches and on page 4 I also have an "inner" margin of 0.75 inches at the right of the page. Page 4 should have an inner margin of 0.75 inches at the left of the page. How do I do this? How to I adjust all margins for the book, are let Indesign handle this automatically when joining separate files in a book? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to adjust inner margins in Indesign book
          nicksnels Level 1

Does anybody have any idea on how to do this? This is really driving me mad. Unbelievable that Indesign isn't able to do this correctly.

• 2. Re: How to adjust inner margins in Indesign book
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Doesn't seem like you want to use the Book feature for a 6 page layout. You can merge two documents by simply dragging and dropping from the pages layout.

So try this:  open the 2 docs, set View Pages to Vertical or Horizontal from the Pages panel flyout menu, select all of the pages in the Pages panel and drag them onto the other document. You should get a dialog that lets you choose where to add the pages.

The dragged pages may get added to the destination document as a new section (indicated by a black triangle over the page icon), select that page and set the Numbering & Section Options as needed from the Pages flyout. Now you can select all of the pages in the Pages panel and set the margins via Layout>Margins and Columns...

• 3. Re: How to adjust inner margins in Indesign book
              nicksnels Level 1

Hi Rob, thank you for your helpful reply. I was actually going to try this approach next.

Problem is that the final book will be 200 or 400 pages. And has between 20 and 25 chapters. So I do not know if it is still the best option. Is working with the Indesign book possible or not or should I go for the more labor intensive option you provided. Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to adjust inner margins in Indesign book
                Ellis home Level 4

As I understand it in a book odd page numbers will have the inner margin at the left side and even page numbers at the right side. By default Indesign starts each document in a book with an odd page number. You can play with the Book Page Numbering Options to continue on an odd page or an even page.