19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 1:35 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 11 or 12?

timothy72

I now have a new computer and a new camcorder, so would like to upgrade from PE7.  Is PE 11 a good program, or should I pay the extra and go with PE 12.  I know how to use PE7 quite well, so would prefer not to have to learn too many new things!

• 1. Re: PE 11 or 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are essentially the same.

And, there is a marked change in the workspace as compared to Premiere Elements versions earlier than 11.

You are in for a period of adjustment going from Premiere Elements 7 whether you decide on version 11 or 12. Principles tend to stay

the same from version to version, but features are often moved, changed, or discontinued from version to version.

Probably what you will miss most about 7 is the File Menu/Export/Movie which cease to exist after version 7. Now that has become File Menu/Export/Title. You probably will be happy to know that versions later than 7 do not handle 5.1 channel audio the same way that 7 does.

I would encourage you to download and install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout and determine its compatibility with your computer environment and your video project goals.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 11 or 12?
            timothy72 Level 1

Great idea.  Thank you

• 3. Re: PE 11 or 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

Thanks for the reply.

Lots of choices.

If history repeats itself, Adobe will probably be releasing a new version about the end of September 2014. No one but Adobe knows what the feature set of the new version will be.

The Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe will continue to be available until the new version is released. Thereafter, the new version will be the only version offered for free tryout from Adobe direct.

If you want to get an idea of what version 12 is all about, maybe browse through

the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

the Elements Organizer 12 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Also, you might be interested in my blog posts on Premiere Elements 12 First Look and Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 First Look Details

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

There is a lot invested in learning a new version, so consider what works best for you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                timothy72 Level 1

Hi

The PDFs are very helpful.  Thank you.  I do have a question about the trial offer from Adobe though.  If I download the trial offer for PE12 now, will I be able to also download the new version that may come out in September?  Or does Adobe give you just one shot at a free trial?

Gwendoline

• 5. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, Adobe permits only one download of a tryout per Premiere Elements version per an Adobe ID and Password on your computer. So, the Premiere Elements 12 tryout should not be counting against a Premiere Elements new version download.

If you go to Adobe to download the Premiere Elements 12 tryout, tryout FAQs are found on the download link page at Adobe.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                    timothy72 Level 1

I will look at all you suggested, and download the PE12.  Thank you for all your help.

• 7. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

We will be looking forward to your results when you have the time to reply again.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                        timothy72 Level 1

Hello,

Could you please  help me again.  I have just installed the premier elements 12 but when I try to open a new video  project I get the message "There is no disk in the drive".  The disk is in the drive.  The message stays up and I cannot go any further. 

• 9. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

An uninstall/reinstall worked recently for a user with this type of Premiere Elements 12 problem.

If you are using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....

1. If you are able to get into an opened Premiere Elements 12 project, go to the Expert workspace Help Menu/and click on the Sign Out option.

If you cannot get into an opened project, then just skip this first step. Close out of there.

2. Go to Control Panel/Programs, and uninstall Adobe Premiere Elements 12.

3. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

4. With the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled, install Premiere Elements 12.

After the Premiere Elements 12 is installed successfully, then update 12 to 12.1 Update, using the Expert workspace Help Menu/Update.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                            timothy72 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.  I have done all of the above, and still the error message comes up.  I can click several times to close it out and the message will go away (which was how I was able to get the update).  However, I don't want to have to keep doing that every time I open or close the program.

Do you think the disk could be corrupt?  I only purchased it a few days ago.  Should I exchange it for another?

Gwendoline

• 11. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

Are you working from a purchased installation disc from box packaging of the program? If that is the case, there may or may not be a problem with the disk. Probably not, but....

Let us try this approach, but make sure that you know the return policy of the seller of the program. It is the one who can do an exchange or refund, not Adobe.

Download and install the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from the following web site. During installation of this tryout you can insert your purchased serial number into it to make it your working copy. But, you have to read and carry out carefully that web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" and its associated click "here" before you click on the program's files links on the web page....File 1 first, and then File 2 appropriate for your computer operating system.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

Alternatively, you could copy the contents of your installation disc to a computer desktop folder. And, from there use the Setup.exe to install the program.

Please review and then let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                timothy72 Level 1

Thank you.  I make a copy, but that did not work.  Then I tried to download from Adobe, using the link you gave me, but I am having trouble.  It comes up "Buy Now", which obviously I don't want to do.  Are there more complete instructions for downloading this?

Gwendoline

• 13. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

I think that you may have detoured a bit on the instructions.

I can go deeper into the details, but here is the path that you should have been on...

1. Go to donor web site given in the prior post.

2. Read the Note: Very Important Instructions and, in that "Note: Very Important Instructions" write up, click on the "here" when instructed.

3. Clicking on the "here" should take you to Adobe where you sign in with your Adobe ID and Password.

When you are on the Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements Download Page, click Download but cancel out of any installation boxes that pop up.

Minimize the Adobe site, and bring up the donor web site's page.

4. Scroll down the page to the links for the installation files and find the set (File 1 and File 2) for your computer operating system.

5. Work with File 1 first and File 2 next (the second is the major file) - if there is an option for automatic extraction of the files after download, please have that selected.

6. Follow the on screen instructions from that point.

Please let us know if the above helped. There should be no buy associated with any of the above.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                    timothy72 Level 1

Thank you.

The reason I purchased the disk is I am not very computer literate!  I tried to follow your instructions, but still am having trouble.  I signed in, opened file 1 - nothing showed up - but I minimized it.  Went back to file 2.  That downloaded  but at the end it asked me if I wanted to open or save.  I chose open, but nothing happened.  The same box kept coming repeating open or save.  Don't know what to do now.

I also tried your other suggestion about making a copy on the desktop.  There is no Setup.exe, but there is an Autorun.exe.  Is that the same.

Thank again.

Gwendoline

• 15. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

Let us focus on copy the installation disc to the computer and installing from the setup.exe.

These are the details...

1. Insert the installation disc in the burner tray.

2. Now you should get a dialog box which displays two choices

Install or run program from your media

Run AutoPlay.exe

General Options

Open folder to view files

Click on Open folder to view files choice.

3. Find the folder with the name Adobe Premiere Elements Elements. Right click the folder, and select copy

which appears in the pop up menu. Then paste the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder to the computer desktop.

4. Open the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder and select the PRE64 Folder.

5. Use the setup.exe file in the PRE64 Folder to install Premiere Elements 12.

If you need a new source of installation files (rather than use those on your installation disc), then we can go back

and figure out why the Premiere Elements 12 tryout download did not work.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                        timothy72 Level 1

Thank you again.  However, it also did not work.  I followed the instructions, but towards the end of the installation I got a message "The installation has encountered an error while installing PE12 organizer. Restart yoru system and try again".  Then a box comes up "rolling" back".  I did restart and tried again, but got the same message.

I purchased this disc from B&Hphotovideo.com.  Should I see if they will exchange it.  Or, if you think that won't help do you have any idea what is causing this problem. 

• 17. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

Did you installation stoppage involved "Shared Technology" error. If so, that is a nuisance that can happen with any version of Premiere Elements, any computer operating system.

Before contacting B&H for an exchange, you might try the following....

Troubleshooting 1

a. Make sure that there is no trace of an install of Premiere Elements under Control Panel/Programs.

b. Go to Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe, and, in the Adobe Folder, look for the OOBE Folder.

Rename the OOBE Folder from OOBE to OLDOOBE.

c. Then try for the install of the program from the setup.exe that was part of the installation disc that you copied to your

computer desk top.

Troubleshooting 2

Go back to the web site link and download and install the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from there as suggested previously.

Study the details posted there and follow to the word. This was suggested back in post numbered 11

Download and install the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from the following web site. During installation of this tryout you can insert your purchased serial number into it to make it your working copy. But, you have to read and carry out carefully that web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" and its associated click "here" before you click on the program's files links on the web page....File 1 first, and then File 2 appropriate for your computer operating system.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

If none of these work, I would then explore getting your money back or an exchange from the seller or exchange 12 for the next version of the program that is due to be released any time now. No one knows the feature set of the new version. That type of information is not released by Adobe until the moment of release of the new version.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                            timothy72 Level 1

AJR,

I have spoken with B&Hphotovideo, and they will exchange it.  Hopefully, the new one will work properly, but if it doesn't then at least I will know that it is not the PE12 disc.

I want to thank you very much for all your help.  You spent a lot of time and I really appreciate it.

Gwendoline

• 19. Re: PE 11 or 12?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gwendoline

Wonderful news that you have the opportunity for exchange of the Premiere Elements 12 box packaging for another.

Hoping that the new installation disc is your answer to success. We are keeping a positive thought on that.

But, please let us know if further assistance is needed.

Best wishes

ATR