2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 2:07 PM by areohbee

How to create a smart collection containing the original versions of photos in a folder?

grevesz

Suppose I have a folder which contains 3000 photos. I import all of them into Lightroom.

Then, in the Develop module, I make a huge number of adjustments to 1000 of them.

Now I need to export 1700 images:

• 2 versions (both the original and adjusted versions) of 130 photos
      • 400 original versions of those I adjusted
      • 300 of the adjusted versions
      • 870 originals that have not been adjusted

How do I organize these into smart collections? In other words, what would be the criteria for the smart collections?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Gabor

• 1. Re: How to create a smart collection containing the original versions of photos in a folder?
          dj_paige Level 9

As far as I know, the only way to get Lightroom to show you the original image in the Library Module is to create a virtual copy of the original, and then organize those somehow. I don't know if there's an automated way of doing this ...

However, if you want to export the originals of photos that have been edited, that can be easily done by selecting the edited photos, and then asking Lightroom to export as Original (which means, don't use the edits to make the exports). But this fails if the originals are RAW and you want JPG exports ...

• 2. Re: How to create a smart collection containing the original versions of photos in a folder?
            areohbee Level 5

Although the title of this thread was about making a smart collection of original versions, the content brought up 2 points:

1. How to isolate photos with adjustments.

2. How to export photo and a pre-edited copy.

Re #1: smart collection has criteria 'Develop -> Has adjustments', so that part is "done".

Re #2 - here is one way to get the pre-edited copy: create a reset preset (yeah, it rhymes) if you don't already have one, and apply it upon export to a (temporary) virtual copy. The Exportant plugin (free by me) has an option to do it - no assembly required, for example:

_exportant_as_vc.gif

Rob