4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 11:39 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom 5.0; New installation; need to install upgrade

Abe18

I just installed Adobe Lightroom 5.  Version is 5.0. I was then prompted to install upgrade to 5.6.  However, instructions for 5.6 say to download and install 5.5 first.   Is this correct?   What happens if I just download and install 5.6?  Also, on a new installation of Adobe Lightroom, why would the latest version automatically install?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.0; New installation; need to install upgrade
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would just install the most recent update.  I haven’t heard that LR 5.5 has to be installed before LR 5.6, so if you have LR 5.0 and licensed, then just install LR 5.6.

If you have the serial-number-licensed standalone LR 5 not the PS-CC+LR-CC Photographer’s Bundle, then LR 5.6 is available from here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

If you have the CC Photographers Bundle, then LR should be available from within the CC app, itself, but only if you uninstall any previous standalone version and log out of and back into the CC app.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.0; New installation; need to install upgrade
            Abe18 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I actually have the serial-number-licensed standalone LR 5 that came with my brand new Leica v-Lux-4.  OK So, I will just download and install LR 5.6.  

Until now I have used Photoshop Elements, but never really was able to get the full benefit of that software.   The best way for me to learn is to get specific answers to specific questions, rather than by trying to cull what I need by spending hours pouring through online forums and semi-relevant online tutorials.   I hope Lightroom is better.  I am encourage by one online comment comparing the differences between Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and Lightroom, is that Lightroom will allow one to alter the exposure of a portion of an image, and I find that that is the single most common alteration I want to be able to do with my photos, and have not been able to do that with Photoshop.   

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.0; New installation; need to install upgrade
              Abe18 Level 1

I was somehow able to get through the Adobe wall and speak to a customer support person. When I asked him the same question as above I was told that ownership of Lightroom 5.0 does not entitle one to a free upgrade to Lightroom 5.5 and 5.6 as these only operate "in the cloud" and therefore, in order to use 5.5 or 5.6  (or 5.4  for that matter), one must purchase a subscription to Creative Cloud.  Is this correct?    As mentioned, previously, my ownership of LR 5.0 came with a purchase of a Leica.    The agent stated that while I might be able to download 5.5 or 5.6, if would only be a trial version and it would no longer work after 30 days without purchase of Creative Cloud.  However, when I asked the agent what was the latest version of LR I could install without subscribing to the CC, he stated that earlier versions were not available since Adobe no longer supported them.  He was surprised that ver 5.2 and 5.3 were also downloadable from the website.   (See   Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows )   So, I don't know how much I can trust what he states.  If I download and install 5.6, will LR stop working in 30 days even though I have a license for 5.0?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.0; New installation; need to install upgrade
                dj_paige Level 9

Adobe Agent doesn't know what he is talking about.

The LR 5.6 download will accept your serial number and run "perpetually", not just for 30 days.