2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 11:39 PM by Herwinc

Increase in file size worse in XI Pro when signing.

Herwinc

Hello there,

We started using AcrobatPro X for making, securing and signing PDF files of our test reports. The validity of these reports is not limited in time.

So we include this revocation information at time of signing. We use our Belgian eID-cards and place 2 signatures.

Recently I've noticed that when I use XI Pro (Win7, 64-bit) to sign the PDF (it does not matter is the file is made in X Pro or XI Pro) the size increased to 10MB.

When I sign the same file with X Pro (Vista, 32-bit) the file size only increases to 2MB ! (Here the revocation info was also included.)

(I am still looking into whether we need the LTV (or if OCSP can be used), so I did a test on XI Pro where I did not include revocation information, with the result: 4MB.)

The 10Mb file size is a problem for us as our test reports must be able to be send by e-mail.

How can the increase in file size (when signing with including the revocation information) between X and XI be explained?

How can this issue be resolved?

• 1. Re: Increase in file size worse in XI Pro when signing.
          IsakTen Level 4

I have several questions:

1. What is the size of the original (before the first signature) file?

2. Do you sign with Acrobat X and Acrobat XI at the same time (you may get different CRLs with different lengths at different times)?

3. What is the PDF size after the first signature using Acrobat X?

4. What is the PDF size after the first signature using Acrobat XI?

5 and 6: the same as 3 and 4 but after the second signature?

It does not make sense to me that with Acrobat X you get 2 signatures with LTV and the total PDF size is just 2MB and with Acrobat XI you get 2 signatures without LTV and the total PDF size is 4MB. This doesn't make sense. Are you sure you're signing the same PDFs with the same credentials at about the same time in both cases? Or did you mean that PDF size increases by 2MB in the Acrobat X case and by 4MB/10MB in Acrobat XI case? I'd prefer to have the total PDF sizes not the increases.

Another test you can do is this. Turn off "include revocation information at time of signing" on Acrobat preferences, sign your sample PDF with the same 2 signatures, then right-click on each signature and select "Add Verification Information" command for each signature (this is a new way to add LTV available in Acrobat/Reader 9.1 and later). Then save this PDF and check (and report back to this forum) the PDF size. You cannot use this LTV method if you expect that some users will open this PDF with Acrobat/Reader versions prior to 9.1. Those versions will not use this LTV type.

• 2. Re: Increase in file size worse in XI Pro when signing.
            Herwinc Level 1

Sorry for the late reply.

Also, I did not pursue this further as the problem hasn't yet occurred with other files, nor with other id-cards.

If it does, I'l come back and run these tests.

thx anyway