4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 2:32 AM by bruce00j

Populate form with text from txt document.

bruce00j Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible for text forms in a PDF form could read from a text file to auto populate it.

I know you can do it with CSV files and the information is coming from an excel file just there is a lot more headers in that excel file than in the PDF form.

At the moment I have an applescript witch can gather the information( and I would like to know how to pass that onto a PDF form) and I can write them all to .txt files.

If it is possible without using a CSV file that would be a great help thanks!

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1. Re: Populate form with text from txt document.
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Actually, it's easier to do with a tab-delimited text file than with a CSV

file.

Go to Tools - Forms - More Form Options - Import Data, select Text files

from the file-type drop-down list, select your file, and you're done.

The first row of the file has to contain the names of the fields, and the

second row their values, all tab-delimited.

• 2. Re: Populate form with text from txt document.
            bruce00j Level 1

Is it possible to have the form read from it every time it is opened? Say like the first time I import it it will read from it then if I close it and edit the txt file in the same format when I open it up again in Adobe Reader will it read the new information or will it need to be imported again?

Thanks,

Bruce

• 3. Re: Populate form with text from txt document.
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ah, you're talking about Adobe Reader? This function is not available there. However, it is still possible to do it, using a custom-made script.

• 4. Re: Populate form with text from txt document.
                bruce00j Level 1

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I am designing the PDF form within acrobat pro but the people that will be using it within the office will be using adobe reader as Adobe keys/accounts are only given to a few members of staff.

This is a few months old PDF form as I have been making it for a while but I have been unable to get a label on the document to print out properly without setting the scale to 125% so I am incorporating applescript to handle UI and getting of the data and have the PDF form as the final part of the process.

Thanks,

Bruce