2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 2:47 PM by D Fosse

Color Balance No Longer Works

amanda131313

Hi!  I'm new to the forum.

I used an add-on for Photoshop that creates an engraving effect for images.  I made the image greyscale to do the action, then duplicated the end result in a new file and converted it back to RGB mode.  Now there's something wrong with the color balance and other tools to change the color.  Additional info:

1. When I try to change the color balance, sometimes it reverts to black and white, and sometimes the result is changed, but looks nothing like the preview from the color balance window.

2. I can add colors to the layer by using paint bucket - they look normal.

3. I've tried saving the file in various file types and opening it again (.jpg, .pdf) - no change.  I even used my print function to save the file as a .pdf, then opened it again in Photoshop - I still have the same problem.

4. I've tried closing Photoshop and reopening it - no change.

5. I open other files of mine and I don't have this problem.

Help!

Thanks everyone!

• 1. Re: Color Balance No Longer Works
          Level 5

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand, such as your platform (Mac or Win), exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop and of Bridge, machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, video card specs, what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far, what error message(s) you receive, if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them, etc., someone may be able to help you.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Color Balance No Longer Works
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

View at 100% (one image pixel represented by one screen pixel) for an accurate preview. I bet you have a "binary" image where individual pixels are either fully white or fully black. Color and tonal adjustments won't work on that, unless the endpoints are moved away from 0 or 255.

The preview window is a downsampled cached version, and that introduces intermediate values that aren't there when the full version is processed.