3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 5:26 PM by JimHess

Having problem importing scanned jpgs from ScanCafe

hongning

I had some old pictures scanned by company called ScanCafe.  When loading to LR 5.4 it will load but when you click the thumbnail to develop.  It has an exclamation point and give message, Lightroom has encountered problem reading this photo.  This same picture will not upload to Flickr getting the message This file failed to upload.   But jpg will load in Facebook, SmugMug or Google Photos.   I believe that it is the jpgs the problem, but company is saying its not their jpgs.  

I've attached a link to the jpg picture maybe you can shed light why this jpg cannot be imported to LR 5

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6LiH8v7ilrGM1NMcTZUanRUdFU/edit?usp=sharing

• 1. Re: Having problem importing scanned jpgs from ScanCafe
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a real computer tech, so this probably isn't going to be a lot of help to you. I encountered the same problem you did. So I next opened the file in Photoshop, made a slight adjustment in brightness. Then I saved and closed the image. Next, I imported it into Lightroom again and was able to work with it in Lightroom without any of the error messages. It looked the way it did when I finished using Photoshop. I don't know how to tell you to fix it any other way. If you have Irfanview you might try that. Or, if you have Photoshop/Bridge and know how to use the image processor you might batch process images and resave them. Then try working with them in Lightroom. Incidentally, when I first opened it in Photoshop I received a message that the file may be damaged or truncated. But I clicked on the button to continue, and got the results I described.

• 2. Re: Having problem importing scanned jpgs from ScanCafe
            hongning Level 1

Okay that works I believe something is wrong with the jpgs I get the message

"This document may be damaged (the file may be truncated or incomplete)  Continue?"

It will then open the image but will have damage in the lower part of the jpg, if I saved this file as jpgs then it will work.   Thanks for the help, now I hope ScanCafe will admit they mad a mistake and fix the scanned pics

• 3. Re: Having problem importing scanned jpgs from ScanCafe
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have a lot of scanning to do, you might want to take a look at VueScan. That's what I use, and I think it does a pretty good job.