5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2014 3:52 AM by elie-d

different quality of the image between Library and Develop.  Can anyone explain to me the reason ?

MauroMac

I've bought Foto package (LIghtroom+photoshop).

When I change details settings I only see the upgrade in the Develop module not in the Library module

• 1. Re: different quality of the image between Library and Develop.  Can anyone explain to me the reason ?
          mg121804

MauroMac, I'm having the same problem, but it's all of a sudden! I've used LR 4 for 11 months and had no trouble until 2-4 weeks ago.

I realize that I've replied to 2 other posts on this forum, but I am hoping someone will be able to help me.

The photos that are EXPORTED do not have ANY of the sharpening applied to them (even when I've cranked it WAAAY up, more than average) that is shown in the Develop mode. The Library is not showing the sharpening that had been applied in the Develop mode either. 

I am doing nothing different than I was 2-4 weeks ago. A few weeks ago, everything I saw in Library and exported were exactly as I saw them in the Develop mode. Now, nothing that i do in regards to sharpening or N.R. is applied to export or Library view.

I have never used Output sharpening (though I see on here that some recommend using it) b/c I want exactly what I see in Develop mode to be exactly what is exported. This has never been a problem until some time in the last 2-4 weeks.

Photos that I've exported to jpegs before 2-3 weeks ago are sharp and crisp and exactly as I'd edited them in LR4. When I view them those photos in LR LIbrary now, they are blurry and shown without the sharpening applied to them that IS still shown in the Develop mode.

Please tell me that someone has been able to resolve this issue!!!

• 2. Re: different quality of the image between Library and Develop.  Can anyone explain to me the reason ?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The original post is describing that nothing done in Develop is seen in Library, not necessarily what you’re describing of sharpening isn’t seen in Library and Export, so it may or may not be the same thing, and probably not.

If it is a problem with Library, perhaps the Previews cache is corrupted since that is where Library gets its images to display whereas Develop computes things in memory.

The way to fix corrupted previews is to remove the entire previews folder.  You do this by locating your LR catalog in Windows Explorer or Finder, then looking for an FOLDER (not a file) with the name of catalogname Previews.lrdata, and delete that .lrdata folder.  You need to be out of LR when you delete it.

• 4. Re: different quality of the image between Library and Develop.  Can anyone explain to me the reason ?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I have never used Output sharpening (though I see on here that some recommend using it) b/c I want exactly what I see in Develop mode to be exactly what is exported. This has never been a problem until some time in the last 2-4 weeks.

You should only use output sharpening if you downscale your image or if you are intending the image to be printed. Downscaling introduces some blur that you can counteract with output sharpening. Printing does the same thing but to a different degree so they both need to be sharpened to correct for this.

What version of LR 4 are you using? There was one with a bug that sounds like this. Make sure you have updated to the latest LR 4. I do agree with ssprengel that it sounds like the previews are bad, but that should not matter at all for the export as that should be done from the raw directly.

• 5. Re: different quality of the image between Library and Develop.  Can anyone explain to me the reason ?
                elie-d Level 4

The way to fix corrupted previews is to remove the entire previews folder.

Before taking the semi-drastic step of deleting all your previews and then waiting for LR to recreate them, try this - in Library loupe view zoom in to 1:1. This forces LR to create a full resolution (1:1) preview and it should build it according to whatever editing parameters have been set in Develop. Zoom out and the display should be of the updated version. In Preferences you can set the automatic delete of 1:1 previews after a set period of time.