4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 10:37 PM by W Thorne

Resize photos to long side in Image Size

W Thorne

I want to use Image Size under the Image Menu to resize photos on the long side (example: 3000 x xxxx).  I know I can do this in Image Processor and Fit Photo but I want to take advantage of the new Resample in CC2014, Preserve Details.  Is it possible to do this in Image Size.   Second question is if this is not possible what resampling method does Image Processor and Fit Photo use to Resample images to a larger size.

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Resize photos to long side in Image Size
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

W Thorne wrote:

I want to use Image Size under the Image Menu to resize photos on the long side (example: 3000 x xxxx).  I know I can do this in Image Processor and Fit Photo but I want to take advantage of the new Resample in CC2014, Preserve Details.  Is it possible to do this in Image Size.

Check Resample, set interpolation to preserve detail, have width and height link to constrain the re-size to the image current aspect ratio, use the width or height pull-down click on pixels, set the side you want to be to 3000 to 3000. Can not be batch without a little script to set the long side to 3000

Capture.jpg

Second question is if this is not possible what resampling method does Image Processor and Fit Photo use to Resample images to a larger size.

The standard image Processor that is part of Photoshop uses Fit Image to do the re-size Fit image always user Bicubic interpolation. There is a second better image process Plug-in script that you can download from the web once installed you will find it under menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro.  With Image Processor Pro you can set what interpolation method should be user for each image re-sized used. Though the script is better then the standard image processor and works in Photoshop CC X is fed up with Adobe and will not be supporting CC  so Preserve Details can not be set.  It may be possible to add this as an option if the Photoshop version using the script supports Preserve Details it may be easy to add in the pull-down menu and in the code. As is you can choose any of the other methods

Capture.jpg

The Photoshop Plug-in Fit Image is implemented in a Photoshop script written in javascript.   It would be very easy to change your copy of "Fit Image.jsx" to always use Preserve Details in CC. The one line the needs to be changed is this one "    app.activeDocument.resizeImage(newWidth, newHeight, resolution, ResampleMethod.BICUBIC);  "  Changing it will only work if Adobe updated cc scripting support to support  Preserve Detail.  In CS6  Adobe forgot  update scripting to support BicubicAtomatic fix it in the superscription CS6 but not the  perpetual CS6.  I also notice that Preserve Details is not an interpolation option in Photoshop CC Preferences for image interpolation.

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Resize photos to long side in Image Size
            W Thorne Level 1

Thanks JJMack.  I will probably set up two actions to run my batches, one to run portrait images and one to run landscape images.

• 3. Re: Resize photos to long side in Image Size
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

On second thought A conditional action could most likely could do both.  Never created one they are like a one line script if document is landscape play action Width3000PX else play Height3000PX here goes... Does not matter if square either action is correct

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Resize photos to long side in Image Size
                W Thorne Level 1

Thanks, that is a great idea.  I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Wilf