3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 11:50 PM by mawinship

    Why is InDesign exporting HTML instead of PDF?

    mawinship

      Hello,

       

      I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2014.  My first project that I created is being exported as a HTML link and not the actual PDF file.

       

      Is it something I'm doing wrong?  Also, none of my saved file icons are showing with the InDesign file icon.  I've linked them with InDesign, however when I click on them they do not open and I get an error.  Is it possible this has something to do with it?

       

      This is incredibly frustrating as I need to this project printed.

       

      Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

        • 1. Re: Why is InDesign exporting HTML instead of PDF?
          Ellis home Level 4

          It probably has to do with file association. What OS are you using Mac/Windows? When you export a file and you choose Adobe PDF (Print) do you still get an HTML? Indesign remembers your last export selection. If you need other format you have to choose it from the list.

          • 2. Re: Why is InDesign exporting HTML instead of PDF?
            mawinship Level 1

            So, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign and was able fix the file association issue (thank you so much for the heads up about that).

             

            However, whenever I export a PDF (Print) it is still only generating a HTML shortcut to my desktop instead of the actual PDF file. 

             

            I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.  However now I feel that the issue is more based within InDesign.  I have no idea what I did to make InDesign start exporting my PDF's this way.

            • 3. Re: Why is InDesign exporting HTML instead of PDF?
              mawinship Level 1

              So, looks like I figured it out.  The file associations is what did it.  For some reason it was it was using Firefox to view the PDF.  I wondered if it was doing due to some update with Acrobat.

               

              So I reinstalled Acrobat.  I saw that when I exported the file the extension changed from .html to .pdf.

               

              So then I right clicked on the icon>properties and it let me change the associated program to Acrobat instead of Firefox.

               

              I'm not sure if that is what needed to happen, but it appears (at least for the moment) that everything is fixed.  I'm going to go tomorrow to see if I can get it printed.  Hopefully everything will have exported correctly.