10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 6:51 PM by grampus45

    How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?

    grampus45 Level 1

      I notice that the new version of Adobe DNG Converter (8.6, and maybe earlier) appears to place Adobe's ACR defaults in the converted file.  Thus, the converted files open up in Bridge with an indication that they already have settings made, and, hence, ACR does not apply the custom camera settings.  One has to Clear Settings first in Bridge, then open in ACR.

       

      This behavior is new, perhaps to 8.6.  But it's presence defeats the purpose of having custom Camera Defaults.

       

      Is there any way to prevent DNG Converter from installing settings?

        • 1. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

          What do you mean by “custom camera settings”?  Do you mean you’ve changed the Camera Raw defaults for a particular camera and those aren’t being seen until you do a Reset?  Or do you mean some sort of Nikon-settings that Adobe never looks at?

           

          Also at what point in the workflow are you converting these files, just after copying them to your hard-disk and before touching them with any other Adobe software, or after they’ve been adjusted in Nikon software, or after they’ve been adjusted in Bridge/ACR, initially as NEFs?

          • 2. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
            grampus45 Level 1

            ssprengel wrote:

             

            What do you mean by “custom camera settings”?  Do you mean you’ve changed the Camera Raw defaults for a particular camera and those aren’t being seen until you do a Reset?  Or do you mean some sort of Nikon-settings that Adobe never looks at?

             

            Also at what point in the workflow are you converting these files, just after copying them to your hard-disk and before touching them with any other Adobe software, or after they’ve been adjusted in Nikon software, or after they’ve been adjusted in Bridge/ACR, initially as NEFs?

            I mean my custom camera defaults that are set by the Save New Camera Defaults for a given camera.

             

            My workflow is to take my original raw files first into Adobe DNG Converter.  I then open the folder in Bridge.  At this point I notice that my original raw files remain unaltered (there is no "settings" icon in the top right corner – circle with two lines and up-arrows – in the image's thumbnail), but the converted dng's (otherwise untouched and unopened in ACR) have a "settings" icon.  When I open the original raw file in ACR, it opens using my custom camera defaults.  When I open the otherwise virgin dng in ACR, it opens using the Adobe defaults (the same defaults that would be employed if no custom camera default had been set).

             

            This behavior is new.  DNGs formed by earlier versions of the DNG Converter did not apply any settings to the converted file, and when they opened in Bridge, they were given the custom camera settings.

             

            In order to retain the old (and proper) behavior, I now have to take the just-converted documents into Bridge, select them, and immediately apply Develop Settings/Clear Settings.  That gets rid of the settings that have been installed by the DNG Converter (as well as the "settings" icon on the thumbnail).

             

            I notice there is a new feature in Adobe DNG Converter 8.6, namely, a panel-specific toggle between the settings and the default settings. This indicates to me the likelihood that Adobe has been making some alterations with the settings that is having unintended consequences.  It clearly is not proper for DNG Converter to be adding (installing) settings, because that prevents the custom camera default settings from being applied, and hence defeats the purpose of the custom camera default settings.

            • 3. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              So you're getting Adobe-Camera-Raw Defaults rather than User-Camera-Raw-Defaults in your DNGs as their initial settings which Bridge knows and shows a settings-aren't-default-anymore badge and you have to reset them in Bridge (or maybe ACR), and you're seeing a new Settings choice in the DNG Converter.

               

              I am not seeing "a panel-specific toggle between the settings and the default settings" in the DNG Converter 8.6.0.254 which is what is currently on Adobe's site for the PC.  I just downloaded and installed it just to make sure I had the current version not the release candidate.  I don't have a way to check what the Mac version is or looks like.  Here are screenshots of what my DNG Converter 8.6 looks like on Windows 8.1:

              Are you still running the beta version?  Are you on a Mac?  What DNG Preferences are you using?  Are you running the current versions of Bridge, Photoshop, ACR (PS-CC-2014.1 and ACR 8.6) or are you converting to DNG because you have an outdated version of something?

              • 4. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                grampus45 Level 1

                ssprengel wrote:

                 

                So you're getting Adobe-Camera-Raw Defaults rather than User-Camera-Raw-Defaults in your DNGs as their initial settings which Bridge knows and shows a settings-aren't-default-anymore badge and you have to reset them in Bridge (or maybe ACR), and you're seeing a new Settings choice in the DNG Converter.

                Yes, that is essentially correct.

                 

                ssprengel wrote:

                 

                I am not seeing "a panel-specific toggle between the settings and the default settings" in the DNG Converter 8.6.0.254 which is what is currently on Adobe's site for the PC. 

                No, it is not in the DNG Converter; it is in ACR (8.6). Down at the lower right-hand side, below the picture frame, there are four toggle buttons.  The one to the far right now is a pane-specific toggle between the current slider settings and the custom camera default settings. It appears this feature may have been added in ACR 6.5.

                • 5. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                  What does this sentence mean, then:

                   

                  “I notice there is a new feature in Adobe DNG Converter 8.6, namely, a panel-specific toggle between the settings and the default settings.”

                  • 6. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                    grampus45 Level 1

                    ssprengel wrote:

                     

                    What does this sentence mean, then:

                     

                    “I notice there is a new feature in Adobe DNG Converter 8.6, namely, a panel-specific toggle between the settings and the default settings.”

                    In light of my last message, it should be clear that that was a mistake.  I meant to say ACR 8.6.  Sorry about that.  Do you have anything helpful to offer?

                    • 7. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                      I need to try to replicate it.  Are you using a Mac or PC and what specific OS?  What DNGC Preferences do you have set?

                      • 8. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                        grampus45 Level 1

                        ssprengel wrote:

                         

                        I need to try to replicate it.  Are you using a Mac or PC and what specific OS?  What DNGC Preferences do you have set?

                        Mac, OSX 10.9.4.

                         

                         

                        Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 10.05.45 PM.png

                        • 9. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                          I posted about this on the Feedback forum and an Adobe employee has acknowledged they are investigating the issue.

                          • 10. Re: How do you stop DNG Converter from embedding Adobe's ACR default settings instead of custom settings?
                            grampus45 Level 1

                            ssprengel wrote:

                             

                            I posted about this on the Feedback forum and an Adobe employee has acknowledged they are investigating the issue.

                            Thank you very much; I appreciate that.

                             

                            grampus45