4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2014 11:59 PM by therealdobro RSS

How to automate an effect?

john_2

In Multitrack Editor I added an effect to an audio file. What I need is to automate it using Write (or Latch).

The problem is, unlike Pan/Volume which have visible controls making live automation easy, for effects there are no controls visible the whole time. I have to open that effect's window, modify, close the window, then repeat all over again.

What should I do in this situation?

• 1. Re: How to automate an effect?
          therealdobro Community Member

Check the track pane which contains all your insert effects.  Below the effects pane, you see 'Read' with a triangle beside it.  Click the triangle, which gives you a dropdown effect lane (I doubt that's the correct terminology for it).  I've never used it and don't know how, but does it help with what you're trying to do?

• 2. Re: How to automate an effect?
            _durin_ Adobe Employee

You can enable the automation envelopes for any effect in a track effects rack by clicking the triangle next to the Read/Write/Touch/Latch dropdown.  Here, you can show or hide many automation envelopes for effect parameters for manual editing of keyframes and changes.  Additionally, you can keep the effect UI open and during playback in Write/Touch/Latch mode, adjust the parameters which will update the envelopes for the modified parameters.

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 1.54.08 PM.png

• 3. Re: How to automate an effect?
              john_2 Community Member

_durin_ wrote:

You can enable the automation envelopes for any effect in a track effects rack by clicking the triangle next to the Read/Write/Touch/Latch dropdown.  Here, you can show or hide many automation envelopes for effect parameters for manual editing of keyframes and changes.

I had already tried that but I wanted access to *all* the parameters of an effect (or more), which were sometimes more than a dozen, and to enable their envelopes one at a time was too tedious.

However your second suggestion was great.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to automate an effect?
                therealdobro Community Member

john_2 wrote:

I had already tried that but I wanted access to *all* the parameters of an effect (or more), which were sometimes more than a dozen, and to enable their envelopes one at a time was too tedious.

It depends on the plugin, though.  Right?  Some plugins have tons of paramaters, and some have a blessed few.