5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2014 11:08 PM by Alooha

Rename pictures by date and time

Alooha

Hello,

May I rename my pictures while importing, the new name having to be formed by the date and time when the picture was taken, in order to have an absolutely chronlogical order?

Thanks

Regards

Aloha

• 1. Re: Rename pictures by date and time
          Alooha Level 1

Hello,

I am experimenting with the test version of LR in order to decide about purchasing it or not.

As I have tens of thousands of pictures, most of them in disorder I would like toestablish a chronological order by renaming them, the new name being constituted by date + time when they were shot.

I would be very glad if someone could tell me how to define the names as mentioned. In the help I only find how to integrate the date into the name but not date + time.

Regards

Aloha

• 2. Re: Rename pictures by date and time
            areohbee Level 5

Aloha Alooha,   

Alooha wrote:

I only find how to integrate the date into the name but not date + time.

Yes you can also integrate the time into the filenames:

rename_files_hour_minute_second.gif

• 3. Re: Rename pictures by date and time
              Alooha Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thank You very much. That's it!

But is it sure that by "date" the program always means the creation date and not the modification date?

Alooha

• 4. Re: Rename pictures by date and time
                areohbee Level 5

You're welcome Alooha.

If available in exif metadata, then date is capture time, aka date-taken, also called date/time original..

If not available, I *think* file creation date/time will be used instead (not file modification date/time) - maybe somebody can confirm.

R

• 5. Re: Rename pictures by date and time
                  Alooha Level 1

Hello,

That thing about the date is rather confusing. If I analyze my pictures with Exif Pilot, I may f.i. have the following data for a given picture: DateCreation: 10.3.2007, DateLastAccess: 10.7.2014, DateLastWrite: 16.3.2003. This last date may be the rather good one, because it represents my daughter, born at the end of 2001, as a child of 2 or 3.

How may I take that date to rename a lot of pictures? With which software?

Have a nice day

Alooha