6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2014 2:58 AM by Lord Melch RSS

Premiere Elements 12 Freezes

Lord Melch Community Member

Hi There,

We are trying Premiere Elements 12 (Expert Mode).

It seems very nice but, in various places it just freezes, no specific area in Elements, so could be importing a clip or just adding an effect...

The 1st PC we tried it on is Windows 7 x64 - fully Windows patched, (also with Manufacturers patches, BIOS etc etc) with lots of software installed, ESET AV, lots of RAM and Processor power, checked clean of any Malware

I have also tried the same new download on a new PC (VM) with just Win 7 (x64) Ultimate, fully patched and no other software installed.

Same problem.

I have read in this form questions about Quicktime versions etc. On the main host Quicktime is installed, in the VM not.

My thinking (why I tried a VM) is that the VM is as clean a possible it just has Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements 12, to try and negate conflicts with other software.

Local user is Administrator, have also tried with Run As Admin..

Anything else we can try peeps ?

Cheers,

LM

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes
          A.T. Romano Community Member

LM

Let us stay with the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for now with Premiere Elements 12 tryout to which you have applied the 12.1 Update.

Given:

a. You have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1

and

b. You are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also have applied Run As Administrator to the via the Premiere Elements desktop icon.

and

c. Your computer's video card/graphics card is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the web site of the manufacturer of the computer.

and

d. The computer is optimized.

1. What are the properties of the source media that you are importing into the project? A fast start to answer that would be to give the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Properties readout programs give more comprehensive details in this regard...MediaInfo and GSpot codec utility. We are looking for video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration. Is the duration of the Timeline content related to the appearance of the workflow issues?

2. What is the project preset that is being set by the project automatically or by you manually.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

(See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General)

3. Where have you directed the project's Scratch Disks and how much free space is at that location(s)?

(See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks)

4. Please describe the edits that you are making to the Timeline content, especially those when the project problems appear.

Let us start here, ruling in or out the factors mentioned above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes

ATR,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Sorry I didn't know there was a 12.1 update - just applied

a. Yes Latest Quicktime 7.7.5 (1680.95.13)

b. Yes

c. Yes

d. Yes although do you have any specifics..

1. (I will try hereL Camera, Go Pro Black

Is the duration of the Timeline content related to the appearance of the workflow issues : No

Re the properties of the video clips :

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size 1.7GB

Image Size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 50.00

Sounds Audio Format 48000 Hz - Compressed - Sterio

Project Audio Format 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Sterio

Pixel Aspect Ration 1.0

premier pro ele.jpg

3. The Scratch disk location has some 900GB free

4. Sometimes cutting the timeline content, maybe increasing scale or rotation..

Cheers

LM

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes

BTW the movie clips are of various sizes, I just chose one, right click, properties

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes
                A.T. Romano Community Member

Lord Melch

Thanks for the follow up with all the details...

Continuing in the real computer environment Windows 7 64 bit.....

Preliminary

From what you wrote, you have GoPro Black 1280 x 720 @ 50 progressive frames per second video and you or the project have set

PAL/AVCHD/AVCHD 1080p50 as the project preset. So far so good.

When you import one of these GoPro Black clips into this project, do you see no colored line or an orange line over the Timeline

content? Assuming no colored line for the moment...

a. right click the Timeline file, select Time Stretch, and then, in the Time Stretch dialog, change the Speed % to 99. Click OK. Now render the Timeline content which should be displaying with an orange line over its content. After this Timeline rendering is completed (color of line goes from orange to green), is the editing performance same or improved? (The rationale behind this was to force Timeline rendering rather than to apply any Time Stretch Speed% changes to the file.

If the above does not result in improved performance associated with the GoPro Black clip editing, delete the 720p50 from the project and import

a. 1080p25 from the GoPro Black

and next

b. jpg photos

For each of the above, do you encounter the same Timeline freezing episodes as with the GoPro Black 720p50?

In what you have written, the freezing is independent of file size and file duration. Is that correct? Does that observation have limits?

Depending on your results, would you consider posting a sample of your GoPro Black 720p50 via a Dropbox link in a reply in your thread?

As a cross check, I was be glad for the opportunity to work with it in my computer environment of Windows 7 64 bit/Windows 8.1 64 bit on a variety of Premiere Elements versions including 12/12.1.

Please review, consider, and then let us know the outcome. We will go into computer optimization considerations next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes

ATR,

>When you import one of these GoPro Black clips into this project, do you see no colored line or an orange line over the Timeline

>content?

We get an orange line..

Re the time stretch - each clip is already "time stretched" to various speeds all faster than normal, some as fast as 3000 if that makes sense

>For each of the above, do you encounter the same Timeline freezing episodes as with the GoPro Black 720p50?

After the right click run as admin the program doesn't fully freeze any more but it is very gittery i.e. when you play the clips (the sped up clips) they don't run smoothly, is it because they are sped up to high ?

Thank you for all you help as ever, we are rendering the project now (it is starting to go green) and will let you know.

Cheers,

LM

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Freezes

Hi ATR,

Well with your excellent help and support Premier Elements (touch wood) now seems stable.

We have also purchased, so looking forward to creating lots of excellent video

Is their anything specific we can do for optimisation ? Rendering seems to take a long time, but I presume that is down to the required output quality as I can see my processors being hammered.

proc.GIF

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

LM