4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2014 9:52 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Question about DVD brands

granolakid Community Member

I am trying to copy my film onto Memorex VD - R.  I have a MacBook Pro.  I am using Adobe Premiere 11.  I bought a box of 10.  Two of the discs gave me an error message.  The third told me no media present.  Is there a brand that would work with Macs? 

I should also say I updated my operating system to 10.9.4.  Would this affect the copying ability to DVD?  Would it affect using Premiere 11?  Is there a free upgrade to 11?

Thanks.

barb

• 1. Re: Question about DVD brands
          John T Smith MVP

If you have a utility that will read the ACTUAL brand of a blank disc (such as Imgburn for Windows) you will find that Memorex buys in bulk lots and puts the discs in their packaging... so you never know what you really have without a utility program that can read the "embedded" vendor code

Use Taiyo Yuden single layer or Verbatim Two layer Or Falcon Pro for inkjet printable Two layer

Mac 10.9.4 and 10.9.3 DO cause problems... these links are not specifically for P-Elements, but they may help

next link says After Effects, but check YOUR permissions !!!

-http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/permissions-mac-os-start-adobe-applications.ht ml

-Mac 10.9.4 and OpenCL issue https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1514717

-Mac 10.9.3 workaround https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1489922

-more Mac 10.9.3 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1491469

-and https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1507936

• 2. Re: Question about DVD brands
            A.T. Romano Community Member

granolakid

Just some questions about what you wrote

I am trying to copy my film onto Memorex VD - R.

By copy, do you mean copy one of your Premiere Elements 11 exports to a DVD disc (as DataDisc) or do you mean using the DVD disc to burn your Premiere Elements Timeline to a DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO?

Also, please confirm what is a Memorex VD-R? Do you mean Memorex DVD-R?

I would explore the Verbatim brand DVD-R and then decide for yourself on its reliability.

You also say that you are using Premiere Elements 11. Yet you ask

Is there a free upgrade to 11?

Do you mean that you want to use version 12 instead of 11 or something else? Versions 11 and 12 are very similar and there is a new version expected to be released at the end of September 2014 (if history repeats itself).

Even though you resolved enough of your issues with the new computer operating system to finish your recent project,

No sound in video/photos going offline

there may be lingering issues related to setting up the new computer operating system. Can you get help from the

local computer shop or from your son to assure the reliability of the new computer operating system?

There is no free upgrade in the Premiere Elements scheme of things that I have ever come across....you can get a price break if you can prove purchase of an earlier version of the program. That way you pay the "Upgraded Price" instead of "Full Price". You get the same thing under different pricing.

I suggest that you try a different brand of DVD disc and also look at the Premiere Elements 11 burn to folder results.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Question about DVD brands
              granolakid Community Member

I was trying to burn my Premiere Elements Timeline to a DVD disc as

DVD-VIDEO.  I ended up getting some Ativa discs from a friend and had

success with all four that I burned.

I will look into the verbatim when making a purchase.  John Smith also

recommended those.

You also say that you are using Premiere Elements 11. Yet you ask

Is there a free upgrade to 11?

Do you mean that you want to use version 12 instead of 11 or something

else? Versions 11 and 12 are very similar and there is a new version

expected to be released at the end of September 2014 (if history repeats

itself).

You answered my question.

Regarding the sound.  I got help from local Public Access.  It seems

because I had cancelled the question regarding off line images and sound I

was unable to access the sound.  I learned that I needed to skip through

whatever the question is, until I get to something that I want.  So it

seems that that was the problem.  If I have any further problems, I will

have someone look at it.

The project is done and looks good.  I so appreciate you and the forum

being there.

barb

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Question about DVD brands
                A.T. Romano Community Member

Barb

Thanks for the follow up.

Great news that your "project is done and looks good". Great job.

Best wishes.

ATR