5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 7:11 PM by A.T. Romano

Save video to a separate HDD?

mmr91723 Level 1

I've just installed PE12 onto my new computer. The HDD has been partitioned so the program files are stored on one drive, and all video and photos will be stored on the other drive. I was trying to save a preliminary video to the empty drive, not the drive with the program files.

When I'm saving a file, how do I designate a drive for the file to be saved to?

• 1. Re: Save video to a separate HDD?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mmr91723

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What do you mean by preliminary video? Are you talking about a Premiere Elements 12 project file (project.prel) whose export fate you have not decided on or about an export from the program which is just a draft of the "real" export?

In Premiere Elements 12, the program takes over setting the project preset in the new project dialog. So, you do not get to see the new project dialog unless your set the project preset manually. The Save In for the project file (project.prel) is in the new project dialog.

Once you set the new project dialog Save In field for the current project, it typically holds only for that project. The default project.prel location (Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit) is

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/Adobe/12.0.

Scratch Disk files Save In setting is done in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

More on all this once we have some more details for your question.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Save video to a separate HDD?
            mmr91723 Level 1

A.T. Romano:

OS is Windows 8.1

Preliminary Video was intended to reference the  .prel  on the end of the file name. Odd that I didn't give this initial description, because it makes the file type somewhat clearer for the reader to understand. At this point I'm working with files whose export fate has yet to be decided.

After I started this thread, I found the online manual. The "Save as" command allows me to save to a different drive. My first save attempt gave the default location you listed, but not the location I preferred.

While the "Save In" command doesn't appear to be what I need at this time, it may be valuable in the future.

Michael

• 3. Re: Save video to a separate HDD?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your .prel is a project file, not a video file

For v12 you need to click/read the publish share links here...

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

• 4. Re: Save video to a separate HDD?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the reply.

For your re-consideration, since I do not see that to be the case.

After I started this thread, I found the online manual. The "Save as" command allows me to save to a different drive. My first save attempt gave the default location you listed, but not the location I preferred.

When you open a new Premiere Elements 12 project, the project is given the default name of My New Video Project1.prel. And, in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the Save In location for that project file is by default Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

In the workspace, the File Menu/Save As may be what you are seeking...control over file name and control of save location of the project that you are in.

But I would go a step further to give you control over ease in deleting a project and its assets when it comes time for you to get rid of it rather than having a project file separated from its scattered files associated with it.

1. Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace....the name of your project is now My New Video Project1.prel.

2. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and designate all the categories to "Same As Project".

3. Go to File Menu/Save As and in the Look In field navigate to and set for your wanted hard drive location. In the File Name field, name the file

example Michael.

Thereafter, the project should be named Michael and should be found at the hard drive save location that you designated.

We will watch for your results on the above or a variation thereof.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Save video to a separate HDD?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

In your reply with further details on what you were asking you wrote regarding "preliminary video"

At this point I'm working with files whose export fate has yet to be decided.

I have interpreted that to mean you are working with project files and you are trying to establish  naming/storage for these

until your have made export choices for them. Did I interpret that correctly or go off course? I ask since John's reply 3 seems

to be going in another direction which is not the matter being discussed at this point.

Where did I go wrong?

ATR