21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 10:15 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.

l_v Level 1

I'm using a 13 inch MacBook Pro.

OS X Maverick

Version 10.9.4 (13E28)

Processor 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I just updated my Quicktime Player, if that's helpful at all.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

It is very late where I am so I will just leave you will some questions to answer. I will look for your reply in the morning.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on your Mac Computer.

What are the properties of the source media that you are importing and having problems working with in Premiere Elements?

What is the project preset for the projects? Do they match the properties of the source media?

Brand/model/settings for camera recording the video can be of immediate help if you do not have a properties readout program to give you the information (MediaInfo and/or GSpot Codec Utility).

What size projects are involved and what is the size of the Timeline content when the problems set in?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
            l_v Level 1

A.T. Romano,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I left the camera at work, so I can provide you with the details in the morning. I am using Premiere Elements 11. I took my mac to the apple store today and they ran a diagnostics test on it to make sure everything is properly functioning. It checked out just fine. I can tell you that I was also playing in elements without any video, trying to create an intro using only text, and I was still experiencing issues.

I will provide you with more details tomorrow. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
              l_v Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 11

I am using video footage from a Panasonic HDC-TM90 High Definition Video Camera

I don't know the project preset for the projects and whether they match the properties of the source media? Can you tell me how to find that?

The clip size is 205.1 MB

I don't know how to find the size of the Timeline content when the problems set in

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                l_v Level 1

I'm attaching screen shots of what happens when I go to open my project in adobe premiere 11. Hope this helps.

1.png

I select the file "PillowVidAdobe.prel"

2.png

I am prompted to select where the file is. I have been selecting "Skip All" since it doesn't allow me to select "PillowVidAdobe.prel" again.

3.png

This is what my screen looks like for a few seconds, before I am taken to the original edited video.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

Thanks for the details. Lots to discuss. Please start a new project as we proceed to the details and associated considerations.

Setting Up The Project

Given Premiere Elements 11 Mac

Your video source is from the Panasonic HDV-TM90. From what I have read about that camera, you should be recording

1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second. The video compression is AVCHD, but I do not know what the file extension is.

For now I will assume .mov or .mp4 and definitely not AVCHD.avi which is not supported by Premiere Elements.

Open the new project to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset for

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD1080p50

As you exit that area be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of that area.

Back in the Expert workspace, import your Panasonic video (1920 x 1080p50) into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project

Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline. When you do that:

a. Is there an orange line over that Timeline content

If there is an orange line over that Timeline content (which there should not be) and you press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard

to get the best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor, does the playback improve or stay the same or get worse?

If the project preset has been set by you manually as we did here (or by the project automatically) for 1080p50 (See Above), then Edit Menu/Project Settings/

General should present as shown in the following screenshot.

1080p50.JPG

Missing Media as Reflected by Colorful Displays (instead of source media) in Project Workspace

Your screenshot with the Media Offline displays tells me

a. you have moved, deleted, or renamed files/folders for the project's source media after you saved closed the project

and/or

b. you have the project's source media saved to a location that has problems (example, malfunctioning external hard drive).

When you import source media into a project, all you have in the project are copies of the source media which are stored at

a computer save location. The copies of the source media in the project need to trace back to the originals where

they were when they were imported into the project.

The "Where is the file....?" or Replace Footage feature are the ways to try to establish the reconnect between source media

and project.

Please review the above, and let us know the outcome of your going through the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                    l_v Level 1

A.T.

I created a new project and re-uploaded the video footage and made the changes you suggested. I'm attaching a screen shot of the outcome.

4.png

The original video is 4 minutes. The video played back, uninterrupted, for approximately 1 minute before it began to freeze/lag. For the most part, I was still able to hear the audio, although it didn't match the video, but the video continued to lag. I also noticed that the picture was a bit shaky. This wasn't the case before. Also, I filmed the video using a tripod, so it wasn't of my doing.

Here are also some pictures of the settings on the camera, if that helps at all. Thanks!

IMG_2981.JPGIMG_2980.JPGIMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPG

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                      l_v Level 1

Here's a screenshot of my project settings.

5.png

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

The suggestions made in my reply (post numbered 5) were based on what I had read about your camera. In your subsequent reply you did not correct me on the details of video properties so I assumed that we were OK.

However, from the screenshots that you presented in your posted numbered 6, your Panasonic is recording 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second, not 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second. If that is the case, then please start a new project with instructions modified to your specific situation.

Open the new project to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset for

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD1080p60

As you exit that area be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of that area.

Back in the Expert workspace, import your Panasonic video (1920 x 1080p60) into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project

Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline. When you do that:

a. Is there an orange line over that Timeline content

Is there an orange line over that Timeline content (which there should not be)?

If there should be an orange line over the Timeline content, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard

to get the best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor. When you do that, does the playback improve or stay the same or get worse?

Please stop there and let me know the results to that point.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                          l_v Level 1

A.T.

I made the adjustments as you suggested and, this time, the entire video played without interruption. Below is a screenshot of the timeline, once I made the changes. The video was still a tad bit shaky but had no interruptions. I was also able to render the video wihout it crashing.

newscreenshot.png

Assuming that this is the correct fix, is it possible that I can change the settings on the previous version of the video I edited, or would I need to create an entirely new project? If it is possible to change the settings, how do I do that?

Thanks so much for all of your assistance!

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

Sounding better and better.

There might even be room for improvement. The screenshot that you displayed in post numbered 9 has an orange line over the Timeline video content.

Did you press the Render button above the Timeline to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor? If you did, then the orange line would have turned green when this Timeline rendering was completed.

Before Timeline Rendering.....

Render11.JPG

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change the project settings once they have been set. I have found a way to make that change under certain conditions. What project preset was in effect when you did the editing that you want to salvage? I might be able to develop instructions for changing the project preset for that project by editing the Notepad document of the saved project file (project.prel). Are you OK with editing Notepad documents? Example of what can be done under the right circumstances.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

Sometimes it is just as easy to start a new project. But, let us see what we can do.

We will be watching for further information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                              l_v Level 1

A.T.

I hadn't pushed the render button when I took that screenshot. Honestly, I think it will be just as easy for me to start from scratch. The finished video is only 3 minutes, so I think I can easily recreate it and make it better.

Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

Timeline rendering will not improve the quality of the export. Timeline rendering is for previewing in the Edit area monitor. It becomes your opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. So, you do not have to do it.

If you have not already, you may want to hit Render to see what you have. It is particularly useful when titles, effects, and transitions are involved.

But, right now, you sound like in are doing OK.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                  l_v Level 1

While it's better since it's not constantly crashing, I notice that when I clip any footage away, it takes about a minute to process it. But perhaps that's normal.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

How are you clipping footage away....using the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator or other?

I think that the next best step is to go for your export and gauge the performance at that stage.

Then we can evaluate the performance of the overall project, importing, editing, and exporting.

ATR

Add On...Have you gone through the usual troubleshooting drill of deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file?

For Premiere Elements Mac, I believe it should be found...

Users/User Name/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0

and in the 11.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs found to be deleted.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                      l_v Level 1

A.T.

I was using the scissors tab. I haven't deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I am currently rendering an edited, three minute video and, so far, it has been rendering for approximately 6 hours. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Omar

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Omar

Export of a 3 minute video that is taking 6 hours and is still not finished. That does not sound normal. But I will look into this in the morning.

It is very late where I am.

What sort of effects went into the edits? Any video stabilization? Any special effects? What specific export choice did you make and did you use

default or customized export settings?

Maybe open and new project and put some jpg photos on the Timeline, and try the same export settings. Does it take 6 hours plus for that also to export?

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                          l_v Level 1

A.T.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the black space above the video along with my choice setting when uploading to YouTube. Thanks. Omar

set.pngblack.png

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Omar

Which one of those YouTube presets did you select?

What was the project preset for this project as indicated in the readings for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the field looked grayed out.

In the screenshot of the title...

Did you create the title in the project's Titler or did you create the title in another program and then import it into Premiere Elements as source media?

At any time did you apply any Drop Shadows to your images?

In the following screenshot, please confirm which you want to get rid of

a. that gray frame around the white image with text

or

b. that fine black line that lines the edges of the white image with the text

a. looks like you have to scale up the image more in the Edit area monitor

b. suggests a Drop Shadow was applied to the white image

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

Just checking your thread.

That screenshot of the title with the "black space" (post 17) does not appear to be the same issue as the black line that existed for the first few seconds at the top of your YouTube video....two separate problems?

ATR

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                                l_v Level 1

I selected the PAL High Definition Video for YouTube (1920x1080).

projectsettings.png

I created the title in the projects titler. To my knowledge, I never applied drop shadows.

dropshadow.png

I want to get rid of the fine black line. The only one I want to get rid of is the fine black line at the top of the video in the first few seconds. Thanks.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11 lags and freezes on my Mac. When I try and render video it crashes.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

l_v

Did scaling up the file that relates to the white file resolve the fine black line at the top of the video in the first few seconds?

If not, what is the track setup for the second screenshot in post numbered 20....

Video 1 - white color matte

Video 2 - your title file with the text How to......

I am having a problem with your YouTube preset which you say is PAL - High Definition Video For YouTube 1920 x 1080. That comes with a frame rate of 25 progressive frames per second which is characteristic of a PAL setup. Yet your project settings are for a NTSC setup - 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second.

I realize that there is no YouTube preset for 1920 x 1080 @ 60 frames per second (NTSC), but why did you not select a NTSC choice such as High Definition Video For YouTube 1920 x 1080 which comes with a frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second instead of what you did select 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second?

NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for HD as they do for SD, but frame rates are still important for regional considerations.

Please review and then let us know the results and comments.

Thanks.

ATR