2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 5:03 AM by dj_paige

Migrating from Aperture to Lightroom

Matthias33

Hi,

being one of Apple's Aperture victims, I will have to migrate my photos to Lightroom soon. Now I wonder if it's worth waiting for the announced migration tool. Will I have a better result with that tool or will it be merely the same as described in the Whitepaper "Making the switch..", only with a more simple handling?

Does anybody have a clue, how long it will take to launch the migration tool?

Thanks for any hint,

Matthias

• 1. Re: Migrating from Aperture to Lightroom
          Bob_Singleton

When I switched from Aperture to Lightroom about 18 months ago, I used one of the back up disks that I store my photos on to migrate. I just asked Lightroom to import from my 3TB drive. It took quite a few hours, obviously, as there were tens of thousands of images. One thing I did notice, though, was that Lightroom corrupted the capture dates and times of some of the files, which was most annoying.

However, may I offer you this tip... if you haven't already bought Lightroom, then don't! Get CaptureOne instead. Firstly they don't try to rob you blind like Adobe are now doing with their cloud, the software is far more intuitive than Lightroom, and it's miles ahead of Lightroom anyway in terms of editing and cataloging. The only downside is no plug ins, but I'm sure that may change on day.

• 2. Re: Migrating from Aperture to Lightroom
            dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom does a great job of editing and cataloging. Many people use it and are very satisfied. I wouldn't wait for the migration tool. Your favorite search engine will find many sets of instructions on how to move from Aperture to Lightroom.

You don't have to purchase the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, you can purchase the stand-alone (perpetual license) version for a one-time only fee, no recurring subscription fees. Products